Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

6 Ideas to Save a Rained Out Summer Barbecue - What do you do on a rainy day barbecue?

Posted by   + Show Post

6 Ideas to Save a Rained Out Summer Barbecue

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on July 2, 2012

If there is anything more depressing than a rained out summer barbecue, I can't imagine what it is. OK, so maybe I exaggerate a bit. But there is no doubt that a rained out fiesta can be a major cause of dread and stress. But it doesn't have to be. 

As a woman who lives in a city and has approximately zero outdoor space during the week, I am the queen of indoor barbecuing and, let me assure you, it's better than it seems.

If you have days to prepare thanks to a handy weather report, then it's easy. But sometimes you have just hours. Either way, here are some ideas to make your indoor "barbecue" sizzle in the rain:

• Grill in the garage: If your garage has a little overhang like many do, then you are in the clear! Just roll your grill to that overhang and fire it up. It's probably best not to bring the grill into the garage for obvious safety reasons, but this overhang idea is a good one. Bonus points: If it's storming, it's a great way to watch the rain fall.
  • Broil the ribs: No less than favorite food master Mark Bittman wrote a tantalizing piece for The New York Times on broiled ribs. Having had them, let me assure you: The grill has NOTHING on these babies. 
  • Indoor grill, baby: I am all about the indoor grill. Yes, mine is a large one and we do 99 percent of our grilling on it. I would swear the burgers are just as good.
  • Sloppy joes: If you have the meat, why not make sloppy joes? They are easy enough, go with the same sides, and feed a lot of people at once.
  • Microwave s'mores: If you have never microwaved a marshmallow, you are missing out! They get big, puff up (um, don't let them explode!), and while they lack the burned goodness, they have all the gooey appeal and taste just as good.
  • Crock-Pot loving: If you have time to plan, why not make pulled pork in the Crock-Pot. It also works for brisket sandwiches and pulled beef and all are delicious!

Now boil up some corn, fix some coleslaw, and delicious indoor cooking isn't so hard!

What do you do on a rainy day barbecue?

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Replies (11-13):
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Thanks door sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I have never been rained out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

These are great ideas i will have to do these

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)