Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

How To Turn Your Hobby Into A Career: Part Two

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

You make personalized stationary. It is a passion, a love, something you do that you give at holiday time to friends and family. You send a note and then people ask, "Where did you get that fabulous note card?" You mention you did it yourself. And they always, always say, "Oh, I want some! Can you make me oa set?"

Maybe it is a scarf, maybe it is jewelry, maybe it is photography, maybe it is baking chic cupcakes. It is your hobby -- and everyone says you should do it for money. Okay, now you are thinking about it more seriously. But how? Where? And what should you remember? 

-- Once you start, it is a job. No longer can you just make some scarfs around December for presents. You will be knitting many hours, every day. That is a lot of knitting, which can turn that love of the yarn into a wee dislike of the needles. Starting up a business takes a lot of time, especially at the beginning. Being aware of this shift and how your every day will look like helps with burnout.

-- Don't forget the business part. Making what you love and doing your passion is fine, but don't forget the business part. Networking, budgeting, and all of that not so fun stuff are a huge part of it as well.

-- Start small. Always a good way to learn and see what works for you and your business. Search out local venues that will place your items - think craft shows in your area, local businesses that will split your profits with you and so on. Or get set up on Etsy. Many of their businesses only do a limited number of items - you can increase your output as you get going and build up a following.

-- Think of other ways to make money at your hobby. If you are a master knitter or sew amazing custom doll clothes, teach your craft at the local community college. Write about it - put together a few know-how essays and pitch them to craft or lifestyle magazines. Offer seasonal or niche gift services - let local businesses (or busy moms) know you can do gifts for their clients, special customers, teachers or friends for a set price.

Have you thought about this? Do you know anyone who turned their hobby onto a business -- or someone that should?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ethenathewise

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NiRi
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM
My sister makes amazing cakepops. We keep talking about turning it into a business. But I am too busy with two girls and she has a full time job.
NiRi
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Great tips though!
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I do know people that have turned their hobbies into businesses.  The woman that taught me how to decorate cakes is one such person. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:17 AM

...and this is what I don't want:  to grow to despise my hobbies that help me relax.  Where's the joy then? 

Quote:

-- Once you start, it is a job. No longer can you just make some scarfs around December for presents. You will be knitting many hours, every day. That is a lot of knitting, which can turn that love of the yarn into a wee dislike of the needles. Starting up a business takes a lot of time, especially at the beginning. Being aware of this shift and how your every day will look like helps with burnout.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Great article, TFS

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I do know people that have turned their hobbies into businesses.  The woman that taught me how to decorate cakes is one such person. 

My great-aunt and uncle supplemented their retirement by knitting/crocheting and selling blankets, clothing, and baby items.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM
A friend of ours loves to fish so he takes people out fishing they pay him for a half day or full day. He only does it on the weekends right now until he has made enough money where he thinks he can quit his other job.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Good ideas!

goddess99
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I know several ladies from cm who have etsy shops.

ceciliam
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I did:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement