Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What's your best money-saving tips for summer time?

sun

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you have a water bill and don't live in a HOA that has rules about green lawns, you can save money by NOT watering the lawn.

This one will also save on energy/gas that you'd spend mowing the lawn.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Make sure to pack a lunch or snacks when hitting the beach or public pool to avoid eating out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Don't run your pool pump 24/7. Turn it off at night, but don't forget to turn it back on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM
We keep our curtains closed during the hottest part of the day to keep some of the heat out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Make your own bug spray out of witch hazel, lemongrass and citronells essential oils.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I had to chuckle at this one......We do live in a HOA. We are also in an EXTREME drought right now. You have seen lawns all around us that seriously look like something off desperate housewives go to dead brown blah. It really stinks. It is going to take a lot of money to fix this probably but for now might as well laugh. There are a few older gentleman that are really fighting a good fight and they are out there daily watering and I really don't know what all they are doing but their grass will probably be the only to survive. Needless to say that rule has been waivered for the time being.....On a much more serious note I am in the heartland and we (as a region) have TON of crops and they are doing horrible. I am worried about how this will effect everything.

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you have a water bill and don't live in a HOA that has rules about green lawns, you can save money by NOT watering the lawn.

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Michiganmom--I am sure this not the appropriate place to post this. But I watch for you post (not crazy cm stalker type lol) but you are just so full of insight and wisdom. I really thoroughly enjoy your post, your tips, and your help :) Just wanted to say thank you :)

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I've heard some farmers are already plowing under their crops for the year because they're not doing well due to the lack of rain.   That's going to hurt our pocketbooks.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

I had to chuckle at this one......We do live in a HOA. We are also in an EXTREME drought right now. You have seen lawns all around us that seriously look like something off desperate housewives go to dead brown blah. It really stinks. It is going to take a lot of money to fix this probably but for now might as well laugh. There are a few older gentleman that are really fighting a good fight and they are out there daily watering and I really don't know what all they are doing but their grass will probably be the only to survive. Needless to say that rule has been waivered for the time being.....On a much more serious note I am in the heartland and we (as a region) have TON of crops and they are doing horrible. I am worried about how this will effect everything.

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Quoting Amy127:

We keep our curtains closed during the hottest part of the day to keep some of the heat out.

We do the same

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Amy127:

Don't run your pool pump 24/7. Turn it off at night, but don't forget to turn it back on.

We went one better this year:  don't get the pool going at all.  I'd rather use the pool but the rest of the family is more than content to play in my uncle's pond...which also has a zip line, rope swing, and 3-level diving tower, along with a canoe, catamaran, and multiple little rafts.  If we get hungry, there's a gas grill, and a beautiful small log house to rest in or use the bathroom as needed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement