Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

What's your best money-saving tips for summer time?

sun

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-27):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

Michiganmom--I am sure this not the appropriate place to post this. But I watch for you post (not crazy cm stalker type lol) but you are just so full of insight and wisdom. I really thoroughly enjoy your post, your tips, and your help :) Just wanted to say thank you :)

embarrassedAww....thanks!  you made my day!

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Yes ma'am. I am very concerned about how this is going to effect the future on....well basically everything. I have lived here almost my whole life and just an example corn is normally grown to over 6 foot in this area before it starts getting its tassles to prepare to harvest it and I kid you not I seen a field of corn the other day that I know was shorter than my 5 year old child--and it was fully tassled :( I know it wasn't even waist high on me :(  My husband and I nearly ran off the road looking at it. Never seen anything like this in my life :(

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've heard some farmers are already plowing under their crops for the year because they're not doing well due to the lack of rain.   That's going to hurt our pocketbooks.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

I had to chuckle at this one......We do live in a HOA. We are also in an EXTREME drought right now. You have seen lawns all around us that seriously look like something off desperate housewives go to dead brown blah. It really stinks. It is going to take a lot of money to fix this probably but for now might as well laugh. There are a few older gentleman that are really fighting a good fight and they are out there daily watering and I really don't know what all they are doing but their grass will probably be the only to survive. Needless to say that rule has been waivered for the time being.....On a much more serious note I am in the heartland and we (as a region) have TON of crops and they are doing horrible. I am worried about how this will effect everything.

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you have a water bill and don't live in a HOA that has rules about green lawns, you can save money by NOT watering the lawn.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Me too! I always feel like her stalker. I get excited when I see her post.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

Michiganmom--I am sure this not the appropriate place to post this. But I watch for you post (not crazy cm stalker type lol) but you are just so full of insight and wisdom. I really thoroughly enjoy your post, your tips, and your help :) Just wanted to say thank you :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

dancing   LOL  I haz stalkers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Amy127:

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

AliIzzyMom
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Whew! Glad it is not just me! LOL She is an amazing woman!!!! :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

dancing   LOL  I haz stalkers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Amy127:

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM

The whole Midwest is like that.  Many farmers in our area plowed under their hayfields and planted corn this spring, and the corn is a good foot shorter than it should be right now.

So, just don't buy anything associated with a corn crop this year...which is about 75% of the items in a grocery store.  Feed costs to feed meat animals will go up so the cost of meat will go up, dairy will go up (costs of feeding dairy animals will go up), anything with HFCS in it will probably go up, etc.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

Yes ma'am. I am very concerned about how this is going to effect the future on....well basically everything. I have lived here almost my whole life and just an example corn is normally grown to over 6 foot in this area before it starts getting its tassles to prepare to harvest it and I kid you not I seen a field of corn the other day that I know was shorter than my 5 year old child--and it was fully tassled :( I know it wasn't even waist high on me :(  My husband and I nearly ran off the road looking at it. Never seen anything like this in my life :(

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've heard some farmers are already plowing under their crops for the year because they're not doing well due to the lack of rain.   That's going to hurt our pocketbooks.

Quoting AliIzzyMom:

I had to chuckle at this one......We do live in a HOA. We are also in an EXTREME drought right now. You have seen lawns all around us that seriously look like something off desperate housewives go to dead brown blah. It really stinks. It is going to take a lot of money to fix this probably but for now might as well laugh. There are a few older gentleman that are really fighting a good fight and they are out there daily watering and I really don't know what all they are doing but their grass will probably be the only to survive. Needless to say that rule has been waivered for the time being.....On a much more serious note I am in the heartland and we (as a region) have TON of crops and they are doing horrible. I am worried about how this will effect everything.

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you have a water bill and don't live in a HOA that has rules about green lawns, you can save money by NOT watering the lawn.

Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Do lots of outdoor activities tat are free like parks and picnics

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)