Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Back to School Countdown Day 1: Size Up Supplies

Posted by   + Show Post

Before you go out and buy new pens, pencils, notebooks and binder, go through last year's supplies. See what you can reuse and what you'll need to buy new. This will prevent you from buying items that you might have around the house already.  

What are you able to repurpose? What's on your list to buy new?

writing

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I stock up on school supplies when they go on sale so I don't have to buy as much the next year. I once posted my bin of supplies on CM and got raked over the coals so I don't do that anymore but it's a nice supply.

This year I wanted to reuse a pencil pouch my youngest had but he wants to go with a box first (which was actually bought for him for 3rd), they are also reusing their back packs and my youngest will be reusing his lunch box(es), my oldest will be reusing his folders that a teacher gave him the end of last year.

Everything else they have (mainly my 5th grader because I actually get a list for him) is new but stuff I've had in my supply box for years. Had to buy him 1 loose leaf paper (they require wide and I only had 1 of those and he needed 2), hand sanitizer, and 1 box of colored pencils. :)

Shansmommy
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

We can reuse her backpack from last year.  She's going into First Grade, so I'm not 100% sure on what all she will need.  She definitely needs a new pencil box or one that won't break as easily as the 2 she had last year in Kindergarten. 

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM

We had a pair of scissors we could reuse.  That was it.  His back pack of 3 years gave out at the end of the school year so we even had to put that on the list. And my youngest DS is just starting kindergarten so he needed it all.  

meliefrog
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Reusing or left overs--I have a ton of pens and pencils from the last few years.  DH found a great deal on antibacterial gel and kleenex over the summer so we are good on that.

Have to buy--new backpacks and lunch boxes because they were very hard on theirs last year.  Paper, spirals, folders and binders are the biggies.  Can still wear most of their clothes but they do need new jeans because theirs are trashed.  Gotta love boys...

bertie4
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I have notebook paper. I am helping with grandkids.

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

This is our first year but we will be reusing the backpack we bought this year for next year and hopefully for a few years to come its LL bean so it should hold up for a while

embrigmom
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Still have pencils left from last year that were never used!

ilovemykids732
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We have about 200 notebooks, literally... we bought them when walmart had their clearance sale with back to school stuff, we bought 2 cases of notebooks... We have a TON of pens and pencils... but DS wanted a few new... so we went ahead and grabbed some new ones... but no more this year... he will deal with what he has for the rest of the year :)

meooma
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Reusing back packs.  Waiting on the supply list from the school.  It should be in the mail this week.  Usually though we have nothing left from the previous year that the school needs.  So we will have to buy all new supplies.

godsgirl26
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I'm reusing backpacks but have to buy everything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement