Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

When To Spend So You Save $$

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

We've talked about it a lot here in the Family Piggy Bank - setting up a saving plan, creating a budget and sticking to it, carefully watching any penny spent on a want versus a need...and that is how it works, folks. It, of course, is being in control of your financial well-being. It is a working, usable user guide to your finances.

And one of the main mantras in that plan is do not spend, cutting back. But every once and a while, we need to look at some areas where spending actually could save you money.

One rather new-ish idea that does save you money but you need to outlay some cash to do it is those deal sites. Think Groupon, Tippr, LivingSocial, PlumDistrict, Daily Candy Deals and others -- they all offer a wide variety of deals, many with 50% off the regular price. Many are local, right there in your city, while other deals are nationwide.

The kicker with these sites -- to make sure they work for you and your piggy bank and don't cost you money -- is that you must use the offer. That is why I keep my eyes out for things I already need or will need in the near future. My best bet: packages of kids classes or tickets to a family event. I've been able to get three or four ballet classes that Kiddo loved -- for the price of one class. We've seen some great concerts at half the price. These sites are also idea ldeal for finding gifts. If you are like me and try to spread holiday shopping throughout the year, these sites can offer fantastic ways to get that perfect present without breaking the budget.

Have you ever bought a deal from these sites? Do you subscribe to their emails?

ŠiStockphoto.com/nigelcarse

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I did groupon once because I really was needing it. Most of it would be a fun but pointless expense to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovegrandbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I bought once from groupon- never again - place i bought coupon from changed deal when i called to schedule what they offered. Don't trust what u read

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I don't use them.  None of them are pertinent in my area.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

I bought once from groupon- never again - place i bought coupon from changed deal when i called to schedule what they offered. Don't trust what u read

Wow!  Did you let the Groupon people know?

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:31 AM

We do have a "Two on the Town" coupon booklet in our area, but it's mostly for restaurants and we don't eat out.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Once in a while the automotive places will get together and put out a coupon booklet....for free.  We do use those and get discounts on oil changes, parts, tires, brake jobs, etc.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM
I did get some great deals for my kids on some of the daily deal websites. I have unsubscribed from their daily emails because I was spending more than I would have liked to on stuff they didn't need because it was a great price.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I subscirbe to groupon, but have never gotten a deal with them... didnt know about the other sites.

lovegrandbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

Wow!  Did you let the Groupon people know?

No I didn't - I just started telling others about it so they wouldn't buy the same deal, and if they are like me, wouldn't buy anything from Groupon.

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
We have used those before
Quoting michiganmom116:

We do have a "Two on the Town" coupon booklet in our area, but it's mostly for restaurants and we don't eat out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)