Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

If I Had A Million Dollars -- or Just An Extra $100

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 77 Replies
2 moms liked this

I play the lottery sometimes. When the numbers get big...as they say here in New York, "You have to be in it to win it." And when I do play the numbers, the mind drifts to what I would do with a million dollars - or $25 million or what ever the pay out would be. 

We all have a better chance of hitting a hole in one, becoming president or getting struck by lightening than winning a Mega Millions jackpot, but what about having an extra $100? Much more realistic, right? We can all put away $10 a week for 10 weeks and "win" $100. 

Now, just for kicks, for fun, let's play "What would you do with $100?" Budget and bills and worries and stresses aside, what would you do with this "win'? Here are a few somewhat frivolous things I'd get.

-- New dinner plates. I am a sucker for new everyday dishes. I would have some for each season if I could. Right now, we have basic white dishes we got when we married almost 11 years ago. Ones I am digging: these cool earthy ones at Crate and Barrel or a matte black set from Bed Bath and Beyond.

-- Stock. Just for fun, to see where I goes, I'd buy some shares in stocks for a company I like (and use). Maybe Starbucks that hovers about $51 per share, or Green Mountain Coffee Roasters that make our Keurig, which is about $21 per share -- or Gap (we need to stock up on back-to-school clothes), it hovers at $28 per share...again, for fun...

-- Boots. Mama loves her boots, and I would have a closet full if I could. Though temps are rather hot right now, I'm envisioning fall weather as I look for my chosen footwear. With my $100 winnings, I'd nab these black ones or a cool cognac pair, both from Piperlime.

-- New artwork for Kiddo's room. I would totally redo her room with a variety of prints and quotes like this one (she loves cats) or this inspirational poster. Both under $20 at Etsy -- and there are many more to choose from.

-- New mommy necklace...I don't have one, so maybe I'd get a cool, hip dog-tag-inspired style necklace. Love this stainless steel sleek one, but also dig the more typical stamped kind in sterling silver. With my $100, I could get both!

What would you buy with your winning $100? This is purely for fun, folks, no bill-paying or saving allowed! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/malerpaso

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughters 2nd birthday is Sept 2 and we are in the process of planning a party. Right now it's very simple but $100 could make a huge difference in our budget. Lots of more Elmo! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I would buy some cute maternity clothes. Since I went down 2 pants sizes, I am too small for them this time around. :) it feels good to say that. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2Stepof3
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a bucket list and we play I have a jar that I keep washer money. That is money I find after doing every one's laundry. I grab that change and play.

First thing we'd do is fly to VA. Open a bank account drop the amount DH owes in child support for the next 6 years into it. Ask the bank to give us $15,000 in 1's and 5's then take that to C.S.E. and tell them to shove all their threats up their asses. Then fill out the paper work so there is a direct deposit of child support not a penny more not a penny less. 

After all that is cleared up we'd fly to Kansa. Have my ex sign off on the rights to my kids. 

DH would fly to undisclosed location outside the US.

I'd fly back to California get the kids passports done. An we'd fly to where DH is never to be heard from again.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I know it's early but Christmas gifts lol.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I would buy some cute maternity clothes. Since I went down 2 pants sizes, I am too small for them this time around. :) it feels good to say that. ;)

Are you expecting? That's wonderful! Congrats on your weight loss!!!!
xxMocahFrappxx
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM
No bill paying or saving?
I'd buy low priced stock and invest it; watch it grow!!! :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep. This is #6 for us, and my oldest will be 7 in November. O_o

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Are you expecting? That's wonderful! Congrats on your weight loss!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

buy new pajamas and socks and underwear. i have lost some wt and everything is too big. i live in pajamas so i need a couple new pairs.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

umm. let's see. I would use it towards my son's bday party.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I would get new sandals and new jeans. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)