Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Fun on A Budget Challenge #7

Posted by   + Show Post

During the heat we have been having, who has been hankering for a nice cold glass of lemonade? The skyrocketing temps inspired this Fun on a Budget Challenge. For number 7, how you can provide some much needed thirst quenchers, maybe some nibbles and teach your kids some great skills - all for the price of a bag of lemons (okay, and the cost of water and sugar too).

You guessed it: it's time to have a lemonade stand! What is a better way to spend a Saturday than making a bit of extra fun money and testing out those selling skills and math basics? Grab a card table, that pitcher and get to work. Want a few other hints to make it a really successful and fun project? I knew you did...here you go!

-- It's all about location. In your driveway is, of course, a popular area for your stand, but think about some other places that may get some better foot traffic and more customers. How about the playground or in front of your library? Many small business would love a little "buzz" outside their establishments, so don't be afraid to ask that kid's bookstore downtown if you and your kids can set up a table for an hour or two.

-- What are you selling? Offer options. Yes, lemonade should be on the menu but how about iced tea or pink lemonade. Make some cookies or lemon bars. Little baggies tied with ribbon are a cute touch. Don't forget the cups and napkins too.

-- Have fun with the prices. Sure, maybe it's $0.50 a cup, but what about the Afternoon special - two cookies and a cup of lemonade for $1.00 or two cups and two lemon bars for $1.00.

-- Advertise. Come up with some fun slogans and put them on huge poster boards with markers so folks know where you are  -- and don't forget arrows pointing the way. Send Dad out and about to let passerbyers know what is just around the corner (arm him with coupons that offer a free cookie with every two cups bought or something).

ŠiStockphoto.com/JimVallee

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Wow that is sad, But they are strict on people having permits for that stuff, its ashame, its a little kids lemonaid stand.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I couldn't believe it at first. Cops were actually ticketing kids for having a lemonade stand.

Quoting ceciliam:

That was my first thought. Things are much stricter these days and I have heard that you need to get permits now.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Hopefully you won't get a ticket doing this

cjsmom1
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I agree. It's a fun way for kids yo earn a little money

Quoting Leelee1008:

Wow that is sad, But they are strict on people having permits for that stuff, its ashame, its a little kids lemonaid stand.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I couldn't believe it at first. Cops were actually ticketing kids for having a lemonade stand.

Quoting ceciliam:

That was my first thought. Things are much stricter these days and I have heard that you need to get permits now.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Hopefully you won't get a ticket doing this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

great tips. DD would love to do a lemonade stand but we live out in the country so it is really hard

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Good ideas!

copperswifey
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I loved your ideas! I know my friends kids had a lemonade stand at the garage sale and they made more money then she did lol :)

slw123
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Cute ideas!  Unfortunately in our town, you have to have a permit....for real.

OJP
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Find out if you need a permit.
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I stopped and bought lemonade at the stand that a couple neighborhood children had up a week ago.

amy7243
by Amy on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Love these ideas.

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

very cool!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement