Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Still Keeping Up with the Joneses

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 23 Replies

Still Keeping up with the Joneses

A friend and I were talking the other day about baby stuff and work and finances came up. It's interesting how we generally do not have any clue about the financial situations of those around us. We can guess and speculate and judge but for the most part we really don't know.

My friend was mentioning that her husband and herself are quite bad with money. They make a decent income but they don't pay any attention to what's coming in and what's going out (oh how I remember those days). It's hard for me to imagine it now... not knowing how much is going where, ever, yikes! They haven't started thinking about saving or retirement. I believe she said they have some debt they need to get rid of (geesh, who doesn't). Well she also mentioned that her sister and brother in law have always been in a bad way with money as well. They're both employed full time and both make over $20 an hour BUT they're loaded with debt, never have enough money, and have struggled over money for their entire marriage. (oh, and her sister is a financial adviser of sorts) Turns our my friends mom has always been really bad with money. My mom is bad with money. My brother is bad with money. My mother in law is bad with money. My sister in law is bad with money.

I mentioned that the main problem my husband and I had is that we always looked at money with a "we work, we should be able to spend" mentality. I think ALOT of people feel this way. There really isn't an I've taken in "this much" so now I can spend "this much" cause and effect reality in how we're all spending our money. I think the US government is the perfect reflection of how MANY in our society live their lives financially. "If I want it I should be able to have it!" Swipe.

It really doesn't matter what your income is if you're constantly spending blindly you're going to end up in the hole. I hate the hole! Oh, how I'm trying to get out of the hole. I think we'd all be surprised at how many others in our lives are living in their own holes right along side of ours.

The Joneses really are broke aren't they.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Found at http://mymoneystory.blogspot.com/
la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Interesting!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

laughing yes they are!!

great post.  and it is so true, we never know what that other family is going throw.  I am happy I found this group and you gals are so thrifty and savvy... i have learned so much from you all, thanks by the way :)

I took all my husbands cards and hid them.. this is a new year and I am taking control!! :))

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I agree people are spending instead of saving.
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

We used to be bad with money, but we have learned from our mistakes and are much better now.   If someone asks for my advice I will give it to them, but otherwise I don't judge because I have made the same dumb mistakes.

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

WOW you go girl! I hope he treats you kindly when he figures out they are gone!

Quoting yvonne37:

laughing yes they are!!

great post.  and it is so true, we never know what that other family is going throw.  I am happy I found this group and you gals are so thrifty and savvy... i have learned so much from you all, thanks by the way :)

I took all my husbands cards and hid them.. this is a new year and I am taking control!! :))

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Way to much in usa for sure

Quoting momto3isme:

I agree people are spending instead of saving.

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That is awesome finderskeepers! smile mini

Quoting FindersKeepers:

We used to be bad with money, but we have learned from our mistakes and are much better now.   If someone asks for my advice I will give it to them, but otherwise I don't judge because I have made the same dumb mistakes.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Great post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

lol I did it in front of him.. he said he felt raped!! lol...   I said to him.. well then bend over because its not over!!!  sidesplittinglaughter  we joke around like that.  He likes it when i take control, thats how we saved to buy this house and thats how I fixed his credit score... so he is down with it :)

Quoting suziejax:

WOW you go girl! I hope he treats you kindly when he figures out they are gone!

Quoting yvonne37:

laughing yes they are!!

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement