Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

1- Pick the right date. Consider having your sale near a common payday and avoid doing it during a holiday weekend.

2- Shop your house for items to sell, walk through and get rid of anything you dont like anymore.

3- Give yourself at least two weeks before the sale to pull and clean all the items.

4- Arrange like items together. Pick a spot in your house and organize things according to function.. kitchen, clothing, books, etc.

5- Tag them. Price them.  If you have an interesting idea about how to use an item put it on it too.

6-Gear up.  Have a calculator, batteries, extension cord, measuring tape... be prepared.

7- Grab attention.  Make your signs big and easy to read, put balloons on them. 

8- Following local ordinances post signs in your neighborhood.

9- Find other ways to advertise. Post online and in local newspapers.

10- Get an extra set of hands.. this is a job for at least two people.

11- Make carry out easy. Have bags and boxes ready.

12- Have change. A day or so before get small bills and coins.

13- Have a $1 basket (or box) near checkout area.

14- Display with care.  Hang clothes, group items like in the stores, place large eye catching items close to the road, cover tables with colorful tablecloths (plastic and inexpensive), put toys and baby items at the back of the sale, use vertical space and put things at eye level with small boxes.

15- Remember to smile. If you are in a good mood, it will show and people will enjoy going through your things, they will be happy to buy what you are selling and you will get to know more people from your neighborhood :)

Do you like going to yard sales?

Have you done one?

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Number 14 we hang clothes by sizes and keep similar items grouped together.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM
15 I also agree with smile, say hello, thank them for coming, etc.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Quoting yvonne37:

That's what we also do whatever doesn't sell gets donated and then we file it on our taxes.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Quoting carterscutie85:

I love me some garage sales but my pet peeve is people who think they have gold!!

Some people seriously want 7 or 8 dollars for a used outfit. Sure it's in good condition and a name brand..but I can go to The Children's Place or JCPenney and get a brand new outfit for that price.

Those are the ones I look at and leave without buying anything.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM
My kids always make money by selling lemonade and bottled water.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM
These are great tips! We had one about a month ago and loved it!
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM

tfs these tips

AzariahsMother

I love going to them even though I don't go often.

AzariahsMother

I have only had 1 yard sale about 7 -8 years ago.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It is very important :)  i even heard life stories while doing mine..an old lady who just had a heart attack and survived, she drove to my house and walked slowly around (bought a bike for her grandkid) and she told me all about how she went through the attack, she even told me where she lives! so nice... and another lady who's husband had just passed away and lives with her daughter, she is new to the neighborhood and we talked and talked, I felt she needed to talk about her husband and she did!  It was so nice to meet these people. :)

Quoting momto3isme:

15 I also agree with smile, say hello, thank them for coming, etc.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement