Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kiddo is five (technically five and a quarter). She's starting to do little chores. She has a piggy bank. And I'm thinking we are entering the Allowance Zone. But how much do we give? What does she buy with that and what do we still buy for her. I know, these questions seem much more pertinent for when she is, say, 12 and going to the movies with friends, but we need to start setting the groundwork now. 

So, how much? I know we can't go by what we got as kids, as well, times have quite changed, as have prices for even the smallest plastic toy. Many experts say to give a dollar for each year, until they reach the teen years, when they may need more than $13. So, let's say I give her five bucks -- a good starting point, teaching her how to save that money and so on.  

There are many thoughts on this allowance thing. Some experts suggest that an allowance is given, and then we should offer opportunities to earn more money by doing chores that are not on already expected to do. Like washing the dog or sorting the recycling for you or washing the windows. They earn money -- a great lesson for them, working for money and being rewarded for a job well done. 

The main element I've read is to be very clear about money, especially when your kids are older. Make sure everyone knows what the allowance is for, what she is responsible for buying herself, the set amount she must save and donate, what you will pay for, and so on. Keep the conversation going. Ask her what she spent her allowance on, where she wants to donate a portion to, and all that good bak-and-forth. 

The last thing many psychologists recommend: be careful with rewarding good behavior with money gifts. Instead, try to reward them with praise and an experience gift, like a special afternoon for just the two of you or she gets to "choose" everything (what to have for dinner or picking the music in the car for a whole weekend) or a little date with Dad.

Did you get an allowance growing up -- how much? How much allowance do you give your kids? When did you start giving it (or when do you think you will)? Share how you handle it in your home! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Princessdlaf

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bob192
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

They get $1 for each chore completed, up to 5 a week.

amy7243
by Amy on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I did not get one and my kids do not either.

ceciliam
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This is what I do, as well:)

Quoting ReesesPieces:

We don't give our kids an allowance. They have certain chores that are just part of being a family; however, we have extra chores that they can do to earn money. Just like the real world. We don't sit on our butts and get handed money - neither do they. They have to work for the money they get. The amount depends on what they are willing to do. And just like the real world they are expected to tithe (10%) of their earnings and save some. They are free to spend the rest however they wish.

suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I got allowance as a kid
suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

thats pretty much what we do

Quoting ReesesPieces:

We don't give our kids an allowance. They have certain chores that are just part of being a family; however, we have extra chores that they can do to earn money. Just like the real world. We don't sit on our butts and get handed money - neither do they. They have to work for the money they get. The amount depends on what they are willing to do. And just like the real world they are expected to tithe (10%) of their earnings and save some. They are free to spend the rest however they wish.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

i give my kids a $1 a week for allowance and they are 5 and 3. to earn it they have to behave, clean their play room daily, clean their rooms once a week, and my oldest has to wipe down their bathroom counter and sink once a week. as they get older they will get more money a week and will have more thing that they have to do. such as taking turns each week to clean their bathroom, doing their own laundry, and taking turns helping with the dishes. they Will be able to earn extra money when they are older by helping me clean the other bathrooms, sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming the other floors, and helping with the yard work. but for now at thier age keeping their stuff cleaned up is all i ask of them and i think $1 a week is more than enough.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I used to get like $5 a week or month I don't remember. My kids get paid sometimes for chores and stuff but no set allowence

Leelee1008
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I did not get it growing up. My kids get it on occasion, when they do what they are supposed to do. they get no more then $5 a week, they are almost 9 &11.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM
No allowances here. But we buy them things they have to earn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I did get an allowance growing up but I don't remember how much.  We just started giving our 5 and 6 year old boys allowance this summer.  They get two dollars a week.  One dollar they can put in their wallet and spend however they want.  They can save it for something or spend it quickly.  The other dollar they put in their piggy bank and have to save for a big item they choose to save for.  They have both choosen to save for a bike next summer so they will save all wingter for that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)