Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What Money Word Irks You?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

I have words that I love: simplify, scrumptious, jiggly, posh, wackadoodle...all words that are fun to say and really sound like what they are. I also have words I just don't like: placard, pamphlet, acrid...there are more. Even when talking about money, I have words or phrases I adore (moolah is one), as well as a few that are a tad annoying - mainly because they aren't what they mean, are sneaky, or just plain misleading. This is all for fun, folks, nothing that is earth-shattering, but you will see what I mean. 

Full service -- I get a bit tired of seeing on websites or signs that companies are full service. That would mean they do everything...including changing the nasty smelling frog tank in my kids room and my eight piles of laundry? Right, I think not. It is just a phrase that is not really descriptive for us moms. 

Grace Period -- There is nothing graceful, generous or blissful (is that a word?) about a grace period. The official definition is the period from the date a credit card statement is prepared by the credit card issuer to the payment due date. During that time, no interest is charged if the whole balance is paid by the due date. Don't ask me why, it just rubs me the wrong way...mainly because when I hear grace I don't want to connect it to money in any shape or form. 

Free - Nothing having to with money is actually free when you think about it. Either you had to buy something to get the free thing, or you are thinking about buying it, all of it still involves something spent on your part, whether it is actual dollars or time or mental space. The only free things in life? Cuddles with those kiddos.

Show me the money - This phrase? Cube Gooding Jr's line from Jerry McGuire? So annoying.

What money words annoy you or irk you? Which ones do you love? 

©iStockphoto.com/mattjeacock

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Lol at full service, I never thought of that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM
You're definitely right about grace period. I guess they think if you give it nice wording then it's not so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Very rarely is anything in life free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudMom2634
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That's advertising....! And had use the word wrongly.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

"cash back" - I have to SPEND money to get that "cash back"

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM
No return policy.
cjsmom1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Very true

Quoting michiganmom116:

"cash back" - I have to SPEND money to get that "cash back"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Free shipping is one I love!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We'll pay the tax....(after we add it on to the price of course)

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Full service haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement