Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I have words that I love: simplify, scrumptious, jiggly, posh, wackadoodle...all words that are fun to say and really sound like what they are. I also have words I just don't like: placard, pamphlet, acrid...there are more. Even when talking about money, I have words or phrases I adore (moolah is one), as well as a few that are a tad annoying - mainly because they aren't what they mean, are sneaky, or just plain misleading. This is all for fun, folks, nothing that is earth-shattering, but you will see what I mean. 

Full service -- I get a bit tired of seeing on websites or signs that companies are full service. That would mean they do everything...including changing the nasty smelling frog tank in my kids room and my eight piles of laundry? Right, I think not. It is just a phrase that is not really descriptive for us moms. 

Grace Period -- There is nothing graceful, generous or blissful (is that a word?) about a grace period. The official definition is the period from the date a credit card statement is prepared by the credit card issuer to the payment due date. During that time, no interest is charged if the whole balance is paid by the due date. Don't ask me why, it just rubs me the wrong way...mainly because when I hear grace I don't want to connect it to money in any shape or form. 

Free - Nothing having to with money is actually free when you think about it. Either you had to buy something to get the free thing, or you are thinking about buying it, all of it still involves something spent on your part, whether it is actual dollars or time or mental space. The only free things in life? Cuddles with those kiddos.

Show me the money - This phrase? Cube Gooding Jr's line from Jerry McGuire? So annoying.

What money words annoy you or irk you? Which ones do you love? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/mattjeacock

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
suziejax
by Suzie on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

big smile mini

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Full service haha

mallowcup17
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

lol. cash back always annoys me but free shipping i like

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Good article!  I think the show me the money phrase is annoying too!

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The Jerry McGuire phrase bothers me to.  I don't like grace period either.  We don't even pay attention to that word.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

You're definitely right about grace period. I guess they think if you give it nice wording then it's not so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

"It's not personal, it's business"

Said to people who are being LAID OFF or otherwise screwed by their company.   Not sure what is more personal than the job you work to support your family.   It is personal... just leave it at that. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I like when the dollar store here gives you 5 off if you spend 25 on certain days ............ LOL they catch you you get 12 or 13 cents off each thing so if your counting to 25 you best add on a pack of mints or gum beacause your not paying full price on anything in your basket  they get ya! 

Ours does the coupon AFTER the total is rung up.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Quoting suziejax:

not really any words I would say but trick prices... like  5.99 way the 99 cent just make it 6 for petes sake LOL when I first see the 5 I instantly think 5 not 6 but ( this number is for example)

Oh, this one irritates me too!

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I sure wished ours did ... so I don't get up there and see 23. or 24 dollars then I go telling daughter hurry grab something anything. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I like when the dollar store here gives you 5 off if you spend 25 on certain days ............ LOL they catch you you get 12 or 13 cents off each thing so if your counting to 25 you best add on a pack of mints or gum beacause your not paying full price on anything in your basket  they get ya! 

Ours does the coupon AFTER the total is rung up.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

hehe yepp and DD says look Mom it is only the .99 cents not the next dollar

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting suziejax:

not really any words I would say but trick prices... like  5.99 way the 99 cent just make it 6 for petes sake LOL when I first see the 5 I instantly think 5 not 6 but ( this number is for example)

Oh, this one irritates me too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN