Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

I'm flying down to visit my folks with the kiddo for a bit of work time out of the city and a lot of grandparent fun for her (we are calling it Camp Mumma and Pappa). It means I may very well have a few, rare moments to read a book - on the flight, while they are baking cookies, or looking for bugs out in my dad's garden. What am I going to read? Sure, there are a couple of mindless, fluffy beach reads on my list, but I also dig non-fiction books, especially those that give me something I can take away and use in my every day life when I don't have time to read. I spotted a few of these that are definitely worth snatching from the bookstore (or checking out from the library) that may give you a boost in financial area, provide a pick-me-up or inspire a new thought-process for your family piggy bank.

The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau - Nothing like a little bit of encouragement. This book really breaks down how you can begin your own business around something you love. Even if you have no interest in starting your own business, it gives some great insight into owning your own company and small business life, which is so interesting. 

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (P.S.) by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - One of the many Freaknomics books, this bestseller takes regular every day things and situations and discussing how it relates back to impulse and economics. A must-have for those that really aren't into financial books, it is witty, smart and just plain fascinating. 

Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline - Buying clothes, shopping, trying to get the best deal. It is one thing all of our family piggy banks deal with and this cool book gives us the behind the scenes look at those discount and big box retailers and the items that come from them. She provides knowledgeable guide on what to buy and what not to buy. Again, just fascinating.

What are you reading these days? Any non-fiction money books? Have you read any of these? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/hjalemeida 

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I am reading a James Patterson book #5.

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I would have to agree with this compeletely 

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Best Book Ever: Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover! Hands down!

Freakonomics was good to - and entertaining on Netflix. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)