Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 18 Weeks To Go!

Posted by   + Show Post

We are at the tail end of summer, folks. I know many of our kiddos are heading back to school in just a week or two...and then there's Fall, and then Halloween, and right after that is...what for it...Holiday Season! I counted it up. 18 weeks til December. In my abode, we celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas, so I have to be ready by the first week of December. That gives me 18 weeks! 18 weeks 'til those festive soirees begin and presents start being wrapped. 18 weeks for us to use to be prepared, save up, make a budget, and have a holiday season that doesn't break our family piggy bank.

If we start now, just think how we will be ready for it.

So, yes, ladies, we are starting NOW. It is the Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown!  Every week, we will have ideas, hints, suggestions, reminders on how we can all get our Santa Groove going, get our holiday on so to speak. We will have gift ideas for everyone, as well as how to budget and where to save some big bucks when hosting a holiday party or when sending those holiday cards.

To kick it off, I've got one word for you: organize. In next week, we'll talk lists of whom you need to give to and what you need to do, but this week, just start brainstorming. Grab a notebook and think about the traveling you will do - or who may come to you. Jot down what you did last year or the year before that worked to save money and have fun, as well as what didn't work or where you ended up blowing that budget. Look at the holiday décor and themed-housewares you have and jot down what needs to be replaced or what you definitely don't need (do you have 83 Santa plates left over from the last party?).

Yes, it may be a little early, but visualize it. When December rolls around and you are done shopping, done organizing and below budget, think about how great you are going to feel. You will be able to kick back with that eggnog, relax and enjoy the true elements of the season without worry or regret.

Let's get going -- what didn't work for you in last year or the year before? A bad recipe? Trying to do too many DIY gifts? Buying too many toys?

©iStockphoto.com/desifoto

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-42):
Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I always start in August it really does help !

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Oh wow now I'm worried. I normally have some christmas gifts picked out for the kids because of clearance. But I haven't picked anything out yet. I got to start looking for stuff that's for sure. Thanks for the warning!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)