Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Too broke for school clothes shopping? Need advice...

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Buy just the basics (as needed) now and more later when you could afford it

Buy the normal amount now

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

This summer has been filled with unexpected expenses...appliances going out, 2 high water bills from broken landscape pipe, ambulance/ER visit.... plus the regular summer expected expenses of car registrations, kid entertainment, food, and adding a 16yo to our auto insurance.   Ahhhh.   

Back to school shopping has come at such a bad time and DH and I do not agree on what to do.  

I want to get the kids just some basics (shoes, a couple shirts, ect) and get more in a month or two when we have money.    They got summer clothes for Easter and it is going to be hot for a few months anyway.... I figured by fall we will be caught up.   I also want to get DS a few more things than DD because he needs them more from a recent growth spurt. 

DH wants to spend money we don't have (credit card) to get them both the normal amount of school clothes and keep it equal.... bc DD will be 'devastated' and it is 'unmotivating to go back to school without new clothes'.   

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I would go with the basics for now.
ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Or maybe tell him that he can sell something on CL to come up with the difference.

I wouldn't put it on credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I am frustrated bc DD is 'daddy's little girl'... he can't handle that she will be upset about not getting the same amount as her brother.    He makes me feel like I am being mean to her.... which is not what I am doing and hurts my feelings. 

The reality is she changed 3 sizes over the last school year so she got new clothes a few times last year (plus more for summer bc nothing fit).   DS had a growth spurt during the summer and needs new everything.  He basically has a few days worth of clothes that fit.   So with limited funds, I think he should be a priority... plus I think they are both growing anyway... might as well spread shopping out a bit.   When DD needed new stuff last school year and DS didn't get anything new.... no one was devastated or unmotivated.... grrrr.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Or maybe tell him that he can sell something on CL to come up with the difference.

I wouldn't put it on credit.

rmp
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not a fan of Debt. I have been shopping all summer at the Goodwill and Salvation Army. My kiddos will have designer clothes at 99 cents prices. I already washed it all . They are growing so fast. There is no way I am paying over 2.99 for  designer brand tops or shirts. I like those prices .  Lol

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

We do most of our shopping at TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls.... If we go to the mall it is specific affordable stores or outlets.   I won't pay full price for any clothing. 

Quoting rmp:

I am not a fan of Debt. I have been shopping all summer at the Goodwill and Salvation Army. My kiddos will have designer clothes at 99 cents prices. I already washed it all . They are growing so fast. There is no way I am paying over 2.99 for  designer brand tops or shirts. I like those prices .  Lol

cjsmom1
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM
4 moms liked this
I say get them each a few things and get more later. They can each get a little now so they have something new for the first day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmp
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the TJmaxx prices on boys Quiksilver tshirts for 4.99 !!

cjsmom1
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Also there's nothing wrong with getting ds a little more because he needs it now. I would ask dh why it was ok to get DD more last year but not more for ds. It does sound petty though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

DH says 'it's different for girls' .... since DS doesn't really care what he looks like he would rather spend money on DD.    To me... just because the DS is a fashion crime... doesn't mean we shouldn't get him clothes that FIT.   Clean, unstained clothes that fit is all I want....if he never matches and doesn't care that doesn't bother me.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Also there's nothing wrong with getting ds a little more because he needs it now. I would ask dh why it was ok to get DD more last year but not more for ds. It does sound petty though.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Can you sell some of their old clothes and buy some used clothes. Then maybe get the shoes new? I wouldnt purchase on credit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)