Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Back to School Bootcamp: Savvy Clothes Shopping

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

The stats are shocking - according to a recent survey, parents are estimating they are going to spend an average of $688.62 on back-to-school stuff, with the biggest chunk of it being spent on clothes. They say $246.10 worth of new duds will be bought (second highest amount is estimated at $217.88 on gadgets - guess a ton of kids are getting iPads?).

Sigh. Folks, that is just an average, which means some may be spending more than that. Whether you have $75 to spend or $500, you want to make wise purchases. And we all know when it comes to clothes and our kids, it can be a tough shopping day. Want some ways to make it go a little easier and not go overbudget? Here you go:

-- Check out the closet and those drawers before you go. Really inspect what he has, that still is in good shape and fits. You may find he's all-good with socks and short-sleeve shirts, but is in desperate need for a lighter jacket. Looking over what you what you have and what you don't will prevent you of buying stuff you don't need to buy.

-- Write it down. Nothing makes you stick to your budget better than having a list. After you check the closet, write down what you need AND what you don't need (we all need that reminder). Then sit with your kids - have them make that list with you and look it over so everyone is on the same page when at the mall.

-- Focus on the basics and what they will actually use. You may really want her to wear dresses and would love to buy a bunch of skirts, but if they hang in the closet unused, that is wasted money. Pick your battles and really concentrate your spending on the basics like jeans and shirts.

-- Help her jazz up those basics with accessories. Maybe cool bracelets and scarfs. They are less money and can transform her basic shirt-jean combo into something really stylish.

-- Beware of buying too much. She may love that one shirt and wants to get it in every color, but will it be too short once that growth spurts hits in a month?

-- Hold off buying everything at once. Again, wait until she's been in school a couple of weeks and get the rest. Styles may have gone on sale, and she can see what she actually does find herself wearing a lot.

Are your kids into clothes? Is it tough to do back-to-school shopping? What is the main thing you are buying this year? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/mphillips007      

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I will be spending a lot on clothes for ds this year. Nothing fits from last year so I'm starting from scratch. I did order his winter coat online and got it 50% off because it's summer time.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

The only gadget ds is getting is the $10 ekectric pencil sharpener I bought. I am so tired of finding pencil shavings everywhere.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:29 AM

My son is pretty easy to shop for he likes the typical character tees and blue jeans.

sukainah
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

My kid really isn't into clothes, but this was the first year I had to take my son with me to try things on, but he needed jeans, t-shirts and new shoes and I spent about $200.  It should last him for quite awhile as they were a bit big for him.

That said, I'm lucky I don't have a girl because I think  I would have had a larger bill LOL

sukainah
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Oh no, I didn't think of a winter coat.  I'll have to see if his still fits him.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I will be spending a lot on clothes for ds this year. Nothing fits from last year so I'm starting from scratch. I did order his winter coat online and got it 50% off because it's summer time.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Fortunately my kids are not into brands yet.  They really have plenty of clothes so I'm not doing any back to school shopping except for shoes and coats.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Congsignment sales are an awesome way to score nice clothes for cheap.  If you go to a resale shop that supports a charity, you are also helping the community at the same time.

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I keep an inventory of what I have for each kid at the end of each month.  I know it sounds like a lot but once you start it is easy to keep up.  I also have an inventory sheet of things my oldest DS has outgrown so I can go to that list and see if anything will fit my middle son.  Sometimes the sizes and seasons don't work out so I taken them to the local resale shop immediately. This system has kept me sane for a few years :)

Also for my little girl I buy most of her clothes at that local resale shop.  I don't typically get the boys clothes from there because the selection is so poor.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM
My dd I only 5, so she's easy to shop for. She like pretty much anything.
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Same with my ds. I think he wore his Mario shirt half the summer.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

My son is pretty easy to shop for he likes the typical character tees and blue jeans.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN