Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to School Bootcamp: Savvy Clothes Shopping

Posted by   + Show Post

The stats are shocking - according to a recent survey, parents are estimating they are going to spend an average of $688.62 on back-to-school stuff, with the biggest chunk of it being spent on clothes. They say $246.10 worth of new duds will be bought (second highest amount is estimated at $217.88 on gadgets - guess a ton of kids are getting iPads?).

Sigh. Folks, that is just an average, which means some may be spending more than that. Whether you have $75 to spend or $500, you want to make wise purchases. And we all know when it comes to clothes and our kids, it can be a tough shopping day. Want some ways to make it go a little easier and not go overbudget? Here you go:

-- Check out the closet and those drawers before you go. Really inspect what he has, that still is in good shape and fits. You may find he's all-good with socks and short-sleeve shirts, but is in desperate need for a lighter jacket. Looking over what you what you have and what you don't will prevent you of buying stuff you don't need to buy.

-- Write it down. Nothing makes you stick to your budget better than having a list. After you check the closet, write down what you need AND what you don't need (we all need that reminder). Then sit with your kids - have them make that list with you and look it over so everyone is on the same page when at the mall.

-- Focus on the basics and what they will actually use. You may really want her to wear dresses and would love to buy a bunch of skirts, but if they hang in the closet unused, that is wasted money. Pick your battles and really concentrate your spending on the basics like jeans and shirts.

-- Help her jazz up those basics with accessories. Maybe cool bracelets and scarfs. They are less money and can transform her basic shirt-jean combo into something really stylish.

-- Beware of buying too much. She may love that one shirt and wants to get it in every color, but will it be too short once that growth spurts hits in a month?

-- Hold off buying everything at once. Again, wait until she's been in school a couple of weeks and get the rest. Styles may have gone on sale, and she can see what she actually does find herself wearing a lot.

Are your kids into clothes? Is it tough to do back-to-school shopping? What is the main thing you are buying this year? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/mphillips007      

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I buy as needed throughout the year so that our budget doesn't take a hit once a year.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My girls are into clothes but our shopping is done.

ShannanAjluni
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Exactly 1 month before school starts, we got thru closers and dressers and everything that is gnarly, stained, pr holey goes in a box to ne offered on freecycle as rags (someone always wants them!), then everything that they can't or wont wear gets put in a box and the next week we hold a yard sale. The clothes that dont sell are donated to the rescue mission. The money that they raise goes for new clothes, or fabric to make new clothes.
We only buy one outfit and foundations (socks, undies, shoes, etc) before school starts. I let the kids see whats really "in"... THEN we go clothes/fabric/pattern shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My daughter is into clothes shopping. She likes what she likes. I got her skinny jeans for $19 each which I think is pretty good. I got her Airwalks from payless for $20 each too. I don't find it tough to go shopping for them because I love to shop. I find clearance, sales and coupons and go to outlet stores. I did good.

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ds is easy we get a lot of hand me downs from friends so we dont have to buy much

KaylaMillar
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM
We're homeschooling so we don't buy back to school clothes. It helps save on our budget tremendously
countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

My two school aged kids are 6 and 5 year old boys so clothes don't matter to much to them, lol.  We will get them a few pairs of nice new jeans, a button down shirt and a couple of t-shirts.  Other then that they can use what they already have just fine. 

KristinRox
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Its really not that tough for us to do back to school shopping. We make an event out of it.. and its actually exciting for everyone. 

KristinRox
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Brianna is just like your dd. She loves shopping, and she likes what she likes for clothes. Ive gotten some great deals on clothes.. so thats a total plus. 

Quoting Rushn311:

My daughter is into clothes shopping. She likes what she likes. I got her skinny jeans for $19 each which I think is pretty good. I got her Airwalks from payless for $20 each too. I don't find it tough to go shopping for them because I love to shop. I find clearance, sales and coupons and go to outlet stores. I did good.

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

That sounds like a good way of doing things. Sounds as though you all make some of your own clothes too.. wish I were that crafty. 

Quoting ShannanAjluni:

Exactly 1 month before school starts, we got thru closers and dressers and everything that is gnarly, stained, pr holey goes in a box to ne offered on freecycle as rags (someone always wants them!), then everything that they can't or wont wear gets put in a box and the next week we hold a yard sale. The clothes that dont sell are donated to the rescue mission. The money that they raise goes for new clothes, or fabric to make new clothes.
We only buy one outfit and foundations (socks, undies, shoes, etc) before school starts. I let the kids see whats really "in"... THEN we go clothes/fabric/pattern shopping.

JOIN US ON:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)