Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Back to School Bootcamp: Get Organized and Save $$

Posted by   + Show Post

It's here...or almost here. The first day of school. The beginning of that routine, that every day schedule which involves you corralling members of the family to get to the bustop or into the car by a certain time in the morning, nooging homework to be done, chauffeuring various kids to various activities with various gear. And let's not forget about that whole eating thing. 

It is enough to make a mom scream - yet one way to be on top of the controlled chaos that is your life is to be organized. Not just with the schedule, but in the closets and the car and your office area. When there is clutter and an every other day "Mom, where's my ballet shoes?" inquiry, you will end up costing yourself time and probably money and definitely stress. Just as you are getting all of the back-to-school basics ready for them, get yourself and your house ready too.

-- Organize those closets and dressers in every room. Be sure things in there fit, have a place, aren't totally a mess. This can save you and your kids a huge amount of time while getting ready in the morning. Have a place for dirty clothes in their rooms - it can help stave off the start of the floordrobe (a pile of discarded clothes on the floor of a person's room).

-- Fix up the "by the door" area. You know what I'm talking about, that area where shoes, backpacks, shin guards, mittens are ditched when coming home. Use cubbies, hooks, whatever you think will get everyone to put items in the proper place (check out some ideas and more hints next week and over at the Smarter Living hub).

-- List out what kids need to in the morning. Are they in charge of dressing themselves? Brushing teeth? Post a morning checklist in a central location to refer to, so you aren't always on top of them and so they can use to remember what they need to do with those sleepy eyes.

-- Get a file folder for each kiddo. Label it and have it ready by where you pay your bills. You can keep anything from the school or sports leagues or a list of friends' home numbers in that one central location - believe me, this will save you oodles of time and stress.

-- Hang a family calendar. Maybe a week at a glance or a month at a glance. Handy reminder so everyone can see when the soccer games are, who has a doctor appointment and when kids have the day off from school.

-- Stock up your car. Get the essentials in a little bag or small tote box. Think wipes, bottled water, snacks, tissues, band-aids, pen and paper, extra bit of cash - which help you in a pinch or when something is forgotten.

Do you have a family calendar? How about that backpack area? Share your organization techniques! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/alexsl       

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM
My ds is going into 2nd and his is good. I use the large one for his book bag.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Are Pre-K to 2nd grade bookbags too heavy?

Quoting cjsmom1:

My walls are hollow so when I tried using the bigger hook racks my wall couldn't support it. These work great, but I'm not putting anything super heavy on them.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting cjsmom1:

I just bought a few hooks that stick to the wall for ds's book bag and coat

I found some neat wall hooks for by the door, but I have never done anything like that before so I dont know if they will hold. Have you ever had a problem?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I am a SAHM, I meant I'm taking the year off of school events. I've been pto president for years but my dd is changing schools so I won't be in charge of anything this year. I don't even think I will attend any pto meeting this year. I need a break.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting goddess99:

My family calendar is going to be alot lighter this year. I am taking the year off so YAY for me. I also only have 1 child so she hangs her things on the coat rack.

What does it mean when you say your taking a year off? Are you going to be a house mommy for a year?

jessicasmom1
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Yes it is school calender ... all days off , what is going on , dr. appointments and such

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Great tips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Good tips I'll have to remember these for next year.

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Thanks I will deff use these!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allyn9
by Carey on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Yup to the family calendar - have on the on the fridge, though I have got to tell you, my daughter is much better at making sure everything she has on her schedule is on it than the rest of us are!  

Backpacks are kept in the bedrooms, next to the clothes picked out at night to be warn the next school day. 

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

great tips !

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Great idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)