Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 17 Weeks To Go!

Posted by   + Show Post

Taking a break from the whole back-to-school stuff...let's start humming Winter Wonderland, shall we? It's Holiday Countdown - 17 weeks and counting, ladies. Last week, we brainstormed. A master list of all of the parties, travel plans, what worked what didn't in years past when tackling the holidays, the décor, the gifts, the fun and, of course, the money.   

This week it is making another list - the people to whom we give those wrapped-up goodies and gifts. Since buying gifts (or gift making supplies) is probably the area where we spend the most money, making a comprehensive list of all that we need to buy and who to buy it for now, way in advance, gives us time to find the best deals and start buying now, to spread out that outlay of moolah.

Who to list? Don that Santa hat and write down everyone: family, friends, teachers, neighbors, people you want to remember at the end of the year (clergy people, doctors, the mailperson, hair person, the babysitter, and so on). Once you have the list, organize it into who you have to mail things to, who do you give a homemade gift to. Add in parentheses what you gave them last year if you can remember as well as kids' ages or sizes and all other relevant details so you don't have to search for them later.

Now start thinking about what you will give this year -- can one gift or gifts from on store work for a few (or many) people on that list? What DIY craft will you be making? In a few weeks, we will get into the nitty gritty of what to give and how to best save money while shopping, but for now, get it all organized onto a master list.   

How many folks are on your list this year? Have you ever forgotten someone?

©iStockphoto.com/Sadeugra

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-35):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM
We only buy for our kids and 2 gifts for a "dirty Santa" gift exchange with my family.

I love not having the stress of buying for dozens of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, we do plates of cookies for friends too but that's not a huge expense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM
I have 12 on my list. I already have some gifts bought which I keep a list on my computer so I know what I already bought and who I bought it for.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Not a long list this year. my kids, husband, mom, brother, aunt, neighbors and around 4 freinds (and their family).

Made my list and i know more or less what i am getting them :)

Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I think we have 35 this year. The list just keeps going up & up. I start the day after Christmas shopping & I have never forgotten anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN