Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Back to School Bootcamp: More Areas to Groove the Organization

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Many folks feel like springtime, coming out of the winter hibernation, airing out, clearing out the clutter cobwebs is the time to organize your home, but I have a somewhat different take on it. I think the best time for us moms to really tackle organization is the beginning of the school year. After the summer, looking at the abode, seeing what need to be tweaked, purged, re-configured to make the everyday working of your home groove along steadily is essential...a well-organized home saves you time and money and let's face it, sanity.

So, as we are about to head to the bus stop again or kick-off the carpool, let's look around some areas of the house that always need a bit of "taming." There may be so many, you don't know where to begin...buy you must! Just do it! We touched on it a bit last week, but there's more...isn't there always?

Closets - I can't emphasize this enough. Look through everyone's closets. Weed out what doesn't fit, rearrange so that school clothes, not bathing suits, are at the front. Try on shoes, coats, hats and the like. Don't forget to check out underwear, holey socks, and tights.  Make a list of what you may need to get in the coming months for fall and cooler days and get them ready so getting dressed in the mornings run smoothly. (Wouldn't hurt to spend an hour checking out your own closet - trying on your raincoat and fall jackets, ditching stuff that is too worn or making a pile of those things that needs to be fixed.) 

Homework Area - Do you have a homework area of the kids? Maybe it is the desk in their rooms or the kitchen table. Doesn't matter where it is. Have a bin of homework necessities (ruler, scissors, glue, calculator, and so on) all stocked and ready to go. 

The Pantry - I don't want to look in mine, either, but by getting that pantry in shape now, you will save oodles of time and money. See what basics you are running low on, what you have plenty of and think about those quick and easy recipes that you will be returning to once the school mayhem kicks off. 

(Check out the whole backpack corral ideas over on Smarter Living, as well as last week's post on other ways to be organized!)

What is the place that needs your organizational attention? Have you gone through your closets? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/kilukilu    

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM
We have tackled those areas already - tomorrow is the first day of school for us, so we had to be ready before now. Now to just keep it all organized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM

My cellar and Attic..thank God those are places nobody really goes to..

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM

definitely the closests. we tackled the kids rooms last week but need to do more in their area too..

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM
My attic, DS closet, my desk and a bunch of dh stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM
I'm a Flylady Flybaby, so these things are already organized since I take care of them at least once a month.
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

everything we are moving soon so can't' wait to have some more storage space.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

All of the above, unfortunately. I don't know what happened, but I've gotten behind on cleaning and organizing again.

Rushn311
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I would say the basement, but I am not tackling that one alone. So I am going to say under my bathroom sink!

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Closets are my big thing right now. Its kind of overwhelming. :(

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Quoting i.heart.myboys:

everything we are moving soon so can't' wait to have some more storage space.

Congrats ! Love more storage space ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN