Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to School Bootcamp: Retool the Lunch Box

Posted by   + Show Post

More back-to-school Family Piggy Bank fun, peeps. Let's all take a moment and think about the end of the school year, when the kids come home and you open up their Batman lunch box or the Dora lunch sak...and find almost everything still in there. Maybe a nibble was munched off the side of the sandwich, but the rest is still there. Wasted food means wasted money. So, how can we retool that lunch box this year to be sure that the lunch you pack makes it to the belly (at least most of the time)? Here are some ideas. Nothing guaranteed, mind you, but worth a shot.

-- Get tools. I've mentioned before here and on other hubs that cool cookie cutters makes it fun for those sandwiches lovers. An easy way to change it up without taking a huge risk. They make tons of them, make words, animals, keep it seasonal. Its is a fun surprise as they open up the lunch box to see if they have a jelly brontosaurus or a jelly star.

-- Get more tools. I'm thinking a thermos (or two). Not only can you use it for her drink (much more economical than juice boxes or milk boxes), but you can use them to send some variety for lunch, like pasta or soup or mac and cheese (much of which could be leftovers from the dinner the night before - again, saving you money).

-- Leftovers. Since we are on the subject, check out this fantastic idea from Eating Well to use some chicken you have left over from the basic baked chicken you made yesterday. What you need: 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, 2 teaspoons light ranch dressing, 1 small whole-wheat sandwich bun, 1 leaf romaine lettuce. Combine chicken, carrots and barbecue sauce in a bowl. Spread ranch dressing on the bun. Top with the chicken mixture and lettuce.

-- Make a Breakfast Sandwich. Forget the eggs, I'm talking those frozen waffles. Spread with low-sugar jam or cream cheese. Add in a baggie of fruit and it is super-yummy

What kind of lunch bx does your kid have? What won't she eat? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/soupstock          

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
kellynh
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Disney princess!!
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I love 31 they are freaking awesome

Quoting catngabsmom:

My girls each have the 31 lunch totes that look more like purses. They are not sandwich eaters at all. They prefer snack-y, finger type foods or salads. Typical lunch box here is water in a re-usable container for oldest dd and youngest dd like the sparkling v-8 fusions, cut up fresh veggies and fruit, crackers, pita chips or pretzels, cheese and deli meat, basically anything that allows a tween girl to chit chat at lunch while re-fueling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
I love this idea.

Quoting goddess99:

I will be packing different crackers, beef sticks, garlic salami, black olives, pickles, apples, cheese sticks, water, juice, hard boiled eggs, pb sandwiches, ham and hard salami sandwiches on a bun,...

My dd won't eat jelly, and some of the hot lunches school serves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
I never heard of Pack-It. I'll have to look it up

Quoting ceciliam:

I purchased a Pack-It for my son and now I need to find a good set of reusable containers. This will be his first year of full day school so I'm still putting together lunch ideas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

My daughter has a Paul Frank box and my son has GI Joe.  They'll eat anything that I put in there for them =)

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

good tips.

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

he has a soft one thats buz light year, he isnt a pickey eater he eats anything :)

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM
We have one that is insulated with her name embroidered on it. My friend I do crafts shows with made it for her. She wont eat pb&j
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Amy on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Great ideas....we have the soft sided lunch boxes.

MDWife12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My son has a batman one and my daughter has a princess one. The majority of the foods my son will eat at school, but my daughter has a special diet so it will just be easier (and probably safer) to just send her a lunch ever day. Thankfully my kids aren't too picky and will eat almost anything! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)