Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Ok ladies...I have a budget....but we are having an IMPOSSIBLE time sticking to it!! It seems like what we use for groceries is double what we should....We have to feed 3 adults, and a toddler...breakfast lunch and dinner...If I stick to the budget, we tend to not have lunches or snacks, so we go to fast food, or the gas station...which is killing our budget..but if I buy enough, it seems like we STILL overspend, and then I throw half of it away because it goes bad before it is eaten!! HELP!! I am getting ready to make a menu for next pay period (1st to 15th) so what are some meals I can plan, that will feed the guys, but still keep us under budget...(125 dollars)

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-25):
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Sorry to have offended you... I was not trying to pry into your personal living situation, but the question did mention 3 adults and from your other responses you seem stressed about the cost of food.    The 3rd persons contributions are material to the BUDGET question that you are asking....

Since the friend is staying for only a few weeks, then there is different advice than someone staying permanently.    The advice I gave in my other post was related to a long term situation.   Since this is short term... just stop eating out while he is there.   Make meals at home in big quantities using meat as a secondary ingredient and eat the left overs.    Dinners = Soup, stew, spaghetti, lasagna, chili, tacos (1/2 meat 1/2 bean), enchiladas, whole chicken, roasts.     Breakfast = fruit, oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancakes, waffles Lunch = leftovers, PBJ    When you shop for food buy, cheap and filling.   Don't waste money on unhealthy snacks because they are expensive and do not satisfy hunger.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

The 3rd adult is a family friend. He is only here for a few weeks, and he is not mooching. Thanks though. As for who he is, and why he is here, it is absolutely none of your concern, and doesn't matter for the sake of this post. This is not newcomers or confessions, I was looking for menu budgeting advice, not your opinion on our living situation!

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Who is the 3rd adult?   Do they contribute to the grocery money? 

You should not have an adult mooching off you. 

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

We live overseas...so no cheap grocery stores...only the commissary, b/c it seems like things on the economy are high, with the exchange rate etc...the 3rd adult doesn't eat breakfast or lunch at home, except on the weekends....but I LOVE the ideas given!! I think a lot of it is just being more strict with the debit card...we COULD allow more for food, but I REALLY want to save as much as possible to allow for a trip home soon!

Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Meal planning will definitely help!  Still, $250 a month for 3 adults and a toddler will be tough; is there any way to increase that to $300?

Breakfasts:  Stay away from cold cereal.  The cost of that combined with the milk that goes with it can really get high, not to mention that it really doesn't fill a person's belly enough to keep them going all morning.  Stick with things like eggs, pancakes (made from scratch), frittatas, waffles (if you have a waffle maker), etc.

Lunches:  deli meat & cheese sandwiches are usually preferred, but deli meat and cheese can get expensive, too.  Will they eat egg salad or PB & J?  Homemade soups are inexpensive and good.  My DH takes leftovers to work for his lunch, so I make sure to make enough for dinner to have leftovers.  The kids & I have things like tuna patties or egg salad on cucumbers, chef salads, or whatever.  If we're not hungry, sometimes we won't even eat.

Dinners:  you can easily stretch meat out to make a few meals.  You could roast a whole chicken for one night, strip the carcass to make a chicken casserole for another night, and then boil the carcass and the last of the meat to make a soup.  I've made multiple meals out of one roast by serving as a roast one night, beef & gravy over potatoes another night, and made stew with the rest.  My grandmother did a lot of that and used bread/biscuits and plenty of veggie sides to fill us up the rest of the way.

I'll post some sample meal plans that I used to use.

This is great ! I would have to agree with you !! You always have the best meal plans!! :)

CoolRelax
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM

My suggestion:  frozen food and crock pots.   

Mommyofonetobe
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Bump for later! 

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

wow! i really need to start preplanning my meals like some of the other posters

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)