Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BillCutterz?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

Has anyone used a site like BillCutterz to cut their monthly bill costs?  How much did it save you-was it worth the trouble?

Have you had problems with junk mailings after giving your info out? 

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not comfortable giving out that kind of info to a website that I'm not familiar with.

Ametrine
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I just ran our expenses through the savings calculator and they say they can save us around $85 a month.

Feeling tempted to give it a try- but I'll sleep on it.

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  I would not put your personal information on a site like that.   You can cut your bills without professional help.   

1. Call all of your credit cards and ask for a lower interest rate.
  2. Shop around to see if you are getting the best deal on utilities, cell phone plans, car insurance, ect. 
  3. Invest in things that save money (cloth napkins instead of paper save us about $20 per month); you might need to pay a little up front to create savings.  (ex. Having enough towels and dish towels to run a full load)
  4. Be aware of time/cost... it can be cheaper to make phone calls or use electricity at different times of the day.   Find out what those times are in your plan area. 
  5. Cook from scratch

If you need professional help after that, then consider contact a non profit consumer credit counseling agency like http://www.springboard.org/   .  Many consolidation companies are a scam... so be really weary of them.  Check the BBB before you give anyone your info and your credit should stay in your name/control. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm not comfortable giving out that kind of info to a website that I'm not familiar with.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

All I get is junk crap from them.... don't do it. I use Mint and it helps me a hell of a lot more.

Ametrine
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

We do a bit of negotiation/checking on our accounts now.  For instance, last month, DH called our satellite provider and negotiated a $5 discount monthly for a year.  It was a pain in his rear, though.  He was really angry with them (Dish Network) because they are giving the best deals to new customers and raising the monthly costs to customers like us-(been with them since inception!)

-sigh-

Anyway, your #3:  I'm thinking you're right.  Since DS (5) has been table-ready, he's using three paper napkins a day and hubby and me two a day between us.  That's five napkins times 30 days...150 a month!  Even with a Costco discount that's ridiculous.  Where did you get your fabric napkins?  I'd need white so I could bleach them.

Your #4: I recently heard that electricity can cost less on off-peak times.  That would mean doing laundry at night, most likely.  I'll have to find out what the cut-off time for a discounted rate would be.  NO way would I do our laundry at 10pm M-F.

Thanks for the ideas!  I'm not sold on giving out my personal info online and was hoping the ladies here had other ideas.  :)

P.S.  We don't use CC's and eat out once a week as a treat.

Quoting FindersKeepers:

I agree.  I would not put your personal information on a site like that.   You can cut your bills without professional help.   

1. Call all of your credit cards and ask for a lower interest rate.
  2. Shop around to see if you are getting the best deal on utilities, cell phone plans, car insurance, ect. 
  3. Invest in things that save money (cloth napkins instead of paper save us about $20 per month); you might need to pay a little up front to create savings.  (ex. Having enough towels and dish towels to run a full load)
  4. Be aware of time/cost... it can be cheaper to make phone calls or use electricity at different times of the day.   Find out what those times are in your plan area. 
  5. Cook from scratch

If you need professional help after that, then consider contact a non profit consumer credit counseling agency like http://www.springboard.org/   .  Many consolidation companies are a scam... so be really weary of them.  Check the BBB before you give anyone your info and your credit should stay in your name/control. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I wouldn't give out my personal info

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

nope never heard of it

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I have never even heard of it.

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Not sure I know what billcutterz is.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I have never heard og them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)