Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Grrrr! DH and credit cards

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

Sigh....we paid off all of our credit cards this week and "had a plan" so that we wouldn't ever use them again.

DH is refusing to give up his cc.  Won't even let me put it in water in the freezer.

Ideas on how to wean him off of it?

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he use it a lot?     My DH kept using one CC on accident because it looked just like our debit card.   I have it in our locked filing cabinet.    I do not use CCs even if they are in my wallet, but I do like to have one on me in case of an emergency.  

If he will not use it... I don't see the big deal of him carrying it.   If he cannot stop himself from using it, then definately shred that thing.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Does he use it a lot?     My DH kept using one CC on accident because it looked just like our debit card.   I have it in our locked filing cabinet.    I do not use CCs even if they are in my wallet, but I do like to have one on me in case of an emergency.  

If he will not use it... I don't see the big deal of him carrying it.   If he cannot stop himself from using it, then definately shred that thing.

He RARELY uses it, only in cases of emergency.  The deal is, though, that we'll have a good sized emergency fund of CASH, so I don't really see a need to even keep it in his money clip.  I think it's a security blanket for him.

Ametrine
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Would you consider giving him a cash "security blanket" to carry in exchange for his cc going into the safe?  Maybe talk to him and ask how much he would want to carry on him for an emergency....  $100?  $200?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting FindersKeepers:

He RARELY uses it, only in cases of emergency.  The deal is, though, that we'll have a good sized emergency fund of CASH, so I don't really see a need to even keep it in his money clip.  I think it's a security blanket for him.

aimhawk
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Cut it up when he isn't looking.

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

?

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

No help here but good luck.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I was going to reply the same...give him a substantial amount of cash to "hide" in his wallet and get rid of the cc....In this day and age, your debit card can be used like a credit card so no need for " the emergency" we all know is just another reason to keep the cc....

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't use it is it possible you let him keep it? Or  maybe talk to him about carrying around some kind of prepaid cc.

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Grab them and cut them up.  I do it everytime they give me a new 1 in the mail.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I still carry mine but I won't use them except in an emergency
It's going to be hard if he doesn't want to give them up what about letting him keep one in his wallet and he can give you the rest of them and let him know that he can use it in an emergency only and he should talk to you before he charges something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement