Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Sigh....we paid off all of our credit cards this week and "had a plan" so that we wouldn't ever use them again.

DH is refusing to give up his cc.  Won't even let me put it in water in the freezer.

Ideas on how to wean him off of it?

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Replies (21-22):
Christi183
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

all I can say here is I'm sorry. I hate having to pay for a credit card, but I still use it for small things. unfortunately those small things add up and I know I will be no help whatsoever to you.

I can tell you something I heard not too long ago tho: never use more than 25% of your limit and pay it off as soon as possible and as often as possible. That will help your credit and let you have money for emergencies.

It also depends on what your limit is. If it's high and he's using all of it, it'll definitely have to go. or you can do what some would call a bitch move and take his card away and make him pay for it instead of getting something he wants. (if it's in a budget for each of you to have treats or extras that'll work wonders)

Funny thing about me, I can hand out advice all day long but somehow it's difficult to execute for myself. crying

JessiFaye
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

If he doesn't ever use it, I'd just let him keep it. I feel like he does... what if there's an emergency and I'm out and about and can't get home to access the card to pay for something? Especially if it's in the freezer. I never (ever!) touch our credit card, but it's in my wallet just in case I need to rely on it for something. I'd be terrified to carry an "emergency stash" of cash around with me all the time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)