Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Banking - how do you keep track of outgoing paid items??

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hello Moms

My bank used to have an online check register. I could add line by line items for expenses I have paid by check or just have not posted yet. This helps me to budget because each payday, I can write my check or pay my bills and log them all in my transactions so that I can see how much is left afterwords. Then, as the items post my account I would delete the line items so that I always have an updated balance.

Well, yesterday my bank rolled out a new ebanking system - one without an online check register. I'm at a complete loss as to how to manage what will be coming out and what my real balance after those paid items really is. I get that I could go back to my regular check register in my checkbook and log it by hand - which seems crazy given the technology available today.

Does anyone have any advise on how I could still do this? It looks like the new ebanking has an available excel, quickbooks etc. exporter. I think I would have to manage that a lot though. (excel I would have to add all new transactions to an ogoing spreadsheet each time I want a new balance)

Help!

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I can't help with this, we have two savings account. One we occasionally pull money out of the second we have our house payment and insurance come out ot. so there isn't much to keep track of

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM
I write evrything down to the last cent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I use Microsoft's Money Sunset software.  It's a free download.  Of course, you can't export banking data to it, but I just balance it once a week with the bank.  It tracks bills that are coming due, keeps a register for each account, and I can see at a glance what the cash flow forecast will be.

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I do it by hand in a check register book. The only things I really write checks for is my boys' school stuff and my husband and son's 5ks. Occasionally I'll use it for groceries but not that often.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I do everything by hand.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I keep track of everything handwritten in the check register...I just do it the old fashioned way...still works for me. But in all fairness to the question, we don't write many checks...and I do write down all the debits as we use them

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I pay all of our bills on line.   Once paid it will show "Available Balance" as what is left.    If I use my debit card for a purchase or return, I put the receipt in a stack on my desk.  I throw the receipt away after it clears (normally within 3 days).    On the rare occasion that we actually write a check.... I either mentally remember or make a post it with the  who the check went to and the amout and put it in my receipt pile.  I check our bank account daily so it works out fine.  I am not organized enough to write it down by hand. 

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:01 AM
I still balance it in the register provided with my checks. I wasn't aware this was an old fashioned way. LOL that program sounds cool, sorry they changed it on you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I've never used anything like this before. We are just starting our budget for September after our whole move!

othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

We pay almost all our bills with cash at the bill center at walmart so we know exactly what goes out and where and what we have left

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN