Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

8 Stunning Styles That Look More Expensive Than They Really Are (PHOTOS) Do you have any tricks for keeping the cost low on clothes?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

8 Stunning Styles That Look More Expensive Than They Really Are (PHOTOS)

Posted by Kylie McConville on August 9, 2012 

fashion runwayWhat's with designers still jacking up the price tag on every garment they put together? It's still a recession, guys. AKA we ain't got no money to buy that stuff -- didja not get the memo or something? We (and by 'we' I really mean 'me') can't afford all these expensive clothes. Still, a girl loves to shop, know what I'm sayin?

And I just can't drop cash like Hollywood stars can. So it's like, hey Kim, can I just borrow that Elizabeth and James top? Or at the very least, MK & Ash, can I stand next to it at the store & take a photo with it?

There's a way to solve this designer dilemma though. I could make my own clothing, but hell, who has time for that? Not I! How about ... shopping for the looks I love at safer prices. Hell yeah. Here's how:

Jimmy Choo vs. Tahari Carly

Jimmy Choo vs. Tahari Carly

Would you really want to step out in $300 flats (top)? When it comes to shoes, your best bet is to find a pair in your price range so that bad weather, rain, snow, and smelly feet don't send your budget over the top.

Alexander McQueen vs. Forever 21

Alexander McQueen vs. Forever 21

Shop for tops with versatility -- and things you'll definitely commit to wearing more than once. Also, these high end frocks (like the McQueen top on the left) are often too over-the-top for our day to day routine (like the one on the right).

Elizabeth and James vs. Forever21

Elizabeth and James vs. Forever21

OK, confession: I bought a $50 top and I never wash it. I don't want to ruin it. Like this $265 Elizabeth and James blouse (left) ... would you ever put it anywhere near a washing machine? No. Didn't think so. To top things off, these two peasant tops are already so much alike that everyone will just assume it's high end.

Dolce & Gabbana vs. Forever 21

Dolce & Gabbana vs. Forever 21

When you shop with a high-end style in mind, you won't always find an exact replica 'cause, duh, designers aren't doing the same thing. I love the colors on the Dolce & Gabbana (left) floral print pencil skirt, but the retro, slimming panel skirt from Forever 21 (right) is much more figure flattering.

Theory vs. Urban Outfitters

Theory vs. Urban Outfitters

The Urban Outfitters top on the right just looks more comfortable, amirite? The colors are softer and there's even detailing on the neckline. Why even bother trying on the high-end top?

Anthropologie vs. Urban Outfitters

Anthropologie vs. Urban Outfitters

If you're drawn to this Anthropologie sheath (on the left) because of the abstract detailing and the soft color scheme, bear it mind they're not the only company hitting this trend. Urban mimics the look (on right) with a different color way and a dropped waist. It makes the frock less stuffy and uptight.

Christopher Kane vs. BDG

Christopher Kane vs. BDG

Alright. Jeans. Here's the problem: jeans are different when it comes to every body type. Here's the payoff: jeans are different when it comes to every body type. That said, I bet Christopher Kane (left) is not the only designer who knows how to dress for your badunkadunk.

Rag & Bone vs. Fergalicious

Rag & Bone vs. Fergalicious

If you haven't been previewing the selection of boots and booties, what the hell have you been doing with your time? You could play it stupid and buy these delicious Rag & Bone booties for $495 (on left) or you could scoop up an identical pair for $60 (right). Your call.

Do you have any tricks for keeping the cost low on clothes?

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I LOVE to shop thrift stores like Goodwill. If you shop in stores in higher-end neighborhoods, you'll find some gorgeous name brand clothes for just a fraction of the original cost. I paid $10 for (I can't remember the designer name) a blue wool cape one time. I've found suits for work for under $10, beautiful sweaters for just a few dollars, and even formal dresses for $15.
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I so agree! I have found some awesome barley used name brand clothes before in Goodwills near higher end neigborhoods lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

I LOVE to shop thrift stores like Goodwill. If you shop in stores in higher-end neighborhoods, you'll find some gorgeous name brand clothes for just a fraction of the original cost. I paid $10 for (I can't remember the designer name) a blue wool cape one time. I've found suits for work for under $10, beautiful sweaters for just a few dollars, and even formal dresses for $15.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I like most of the cheaper things more anyway, I think they look nicer

ShannanAjluni
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I DO make my own! Lol
I will find a pattern that I love and make it in great fabric. Alice I have a really bizarre body type (huge boobs, big butt, little waist...) I can tailor my clothes to fit and flatter my shape. Often costs way less for just a couple hours of work.
proudMom2634
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I also do my own only if I have free time,.

Quoting ShannanAjluni:

I DO make my own! Lol
I will find a pattern that I love and make it in great fabric. Alice I have a really bizarre body type (huge boobs, big butt, little waist...) I can tailor my clothes to fit and flatter my shape. Often costs way less for just a couple hours of work.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:02 AM

I'm not big on name brands.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I love that skirt from forever21 I am going to have to go look it up now.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I shop clearance and at goodwill
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Maybe I have no sense of style because I wouldn't wear any of those clothes - lol!!! I just buy what I like and thankfully it's inexpensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamawWalker
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I find scarves change up an outfit. I have found some of my best in Walgreen's and hats. I always wear a hat. I found a purple fedora at Walgreen's added a band and flower like you put on little girls and I get raves. I also get t-shirts there to go under jackets so I get the color. My point being in each store you go into watch for things that you can make changes to your already existing clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN