Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

School lunches

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM
  • 20 Replies
So This year we are packing my DD lunch. It was estimating $60'a month for her lunches at school so at the very least $450 a year (lunches are $2.50 and 180 days). Anyway, I have about 3 weeks of maternity leave left and I'm starting to get lists together for lunches and dinner. I want to freeze some things like sandwiches to make life easier. What things do you freeze for your kids lunch? What doesn't freeze well? I'm looking at maybe freezing some of the jiffy mix muffins with hot dogs in them. Anyone done this? I need all the help I can get !
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I'd like to see some replies to this as well. Ds will be starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on packing his lunch.

catngabsmom
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM
My girls are not sandwich eaters, so I tend to pack salads or finger type foods. They like fresh fruits and veggies, deli meat and cheese (just not on a sandwich), crackers, etc. Basically anything that allows them to pick and nibble while being chatty with their friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Hmmm....I usually make everything that morning. I've never been a fan of defrosted sandwiches - those Uncrustables are icky to me, so IDK what sandwiches freeze well. We mostly do fruits, veggies, pita pockets, we did soup a couple times and pasta salad a couple times last year. We are trying to get our kiddos used to sushi so I can make and send that, but no such luck. We have done grilled chicken dippers served cold, that's about all I can think of now. Our lunches are just the kind that are best made fresh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Satan71
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

My kids like finger foods too. So today my DS took sunflower seeds, cheese and meat squares, an apple and a water. He likes tuna or chicken salad in a lettuce wrap, pbj on GF WF bread. lots of fruit, or carrot sticks and ranch, Nuts, meats, etc... We don't really freeze alot of stuff like that. Wish I was more help.

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

We aren't in school yet! I can't wait though.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I like this idea!

Quoting catngabsmom:

My girls are not sandwich eaters, so I tend to pack salads or finger type foods. They like fresh fruits and veggies, deli meat and cheese (just not on a sandwich), crackers, etc. Basically anything that allows them to pick and nibble while being chatty with their friends.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

bump

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I make my kids the night before, we dont freeze it. Mine like sandwiches, fruits, veggies, chips, etc...

I just have to be careful with my daughter because she is allergic to peanuts.  

MDWife12
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The only sandwich that my daughter eats on her gluten free bread is pb and j - otherwise she prefers to eat any lunch meat without bread :) this is her first year in school (pre-k, they feed them lunch then send them home by 1230) and she has Celiac so I will be packing about 98% of her lunches! :)

Quoting Satan71:

My kids like finger foods too. So today my DS took sunflower seeds, cheese and meat squares, an apple and a water. He likes tuna or chicken salad in a lettuce wrap, pbj on GF WF bread. lots of fruit, or carrot sticks and ranch, Nuts, meats, etc... We don't really freeze alot of stuff like that. Wish I was more help.

MDWife12
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

my daughter is the same way - she will eat the meat and cheese just not on any bread at all :) unless its pb&j then she will eat it on bread

Quoting catngabsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN