Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Money News That Makes You Go Hmmm

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I run across something in the news, an article I stumble upon as I am surfing about online that just, in the words of C&C Music Factory, "makes me go hmm." Like this article about 12 bottles of wine that hit the market from Australian vintner Penfolds. They are full of limited edition cabernet sauvignon from 2004. The price for one of those 12?

$168,000. 

Yes. One bottle for $168,000. It is, of course, the most expensive wine ever. And it makes me wonder a few things. First, who is going to buy and are they ever going to open it up? But more importantly, I think, what could I use that $168,000 for? I mean, sure, getting out of debt, setting up college and savings funds, putting a chunk aside for retirement, giving money to family are all on that list, but if I had it for "a fun splurge," what would I buy?

I'd probably redo my wardrobe, actually go shopping without paying attention to what it costs. And redo my husband's clothes as well. Maybe I'd book a long-overdue vacation for us. Give some to charity. Move to a larger apartment and get all new furniture...I could do all of this for the price of one bottle of wine.

Yup, just makes you go hmmmm.

What would you spend $168,000 on? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/DNY59     

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely not a stupid bottle of wine!!! I'd spend it on a boat, a nice boat, new clothes for all 7 of us, maybe some fabulous jewelry for me, a couple of new cars. I could do a heck of a lot of stuff with that kind of fun money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:17 AM

A house.

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

lol not that...a house but thats about it...

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I would pay my house and other debts off and put 6 months of living expenses away. That would leave about 50-60K, I would finish our basement with 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a play room for the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Wow.  Well, I'd do some home repairs and put some in the grandhildren's college funds.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would put new siding on my house, paint the inside, do some landscaping.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM

If there was any left over, I'd travel.

daerca574
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I would pay off my mortgage. 

daerca574
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM

or at least pay off half and then use the rest to pay off my other debts.

sukainah
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I'd spend it on a car, and maybe a car for my husband as well.  Clothes for the family, of course pay off a loan and maybe put a down payment on a house.  I couldn't drink something that expensive LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)