Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money News That Makes You Go Hmmm

Posted by   + Show Post

Sometimes I run across something in the news, an article I stumble upon as I am surfing about online that just, in the words of C&C Music Factory, "makes me go hmm." Like this article about 12 bottles of wine that hit the market from Australian vintner Penfolds. They are full of limited edition cabernet sauvignon from 2004. The price for one of those 12?

$168,000. 

Yes. One bottle for $168,000. It is, of course, the most expensive wine ever. And it makes me wonder a few things. First, who is going to buy and are they ever going to open it up? But more importantly, I think, what could I use that $168,000 for? I mean, sure, getting out of debt, setting up college and savings funds, putting a chunk aside for retirement, giving money to family are all on that list, but if I had it for "a fun splurge," what would I buy?

I'd probably redo my wardrobe, actually go shopping without paying attention to what it costs. And redo my husband's clothes as well. Maybe I'd book a long-overdue vacation for us. Give some to charity. Move to a larger apartment and get all new furniture...I could do all of this for the price of one bottle of wine.

Yup, just makes you go hmmmm.

What would you spend $168,000 on? 

©iStockphoto.com/DNY59     

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

A house.  Not a bottle of wine.

tayanddyl
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM

wow

mendyd
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM

pay all my bills off and give back to my family that has helped us in the past few yrs when we needed it

Yuriko_chan
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I bet it doesn't even taste very good. I might spend that much on a house....if I win the lottery.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I would hold it...in my hands....and then I would save every bit of it...so we could retire.....I would go online everyday just to see if it was still in the account. I would be thankful for sure....I am still shaking my head over wine...stupid wine...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)