Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

How Pinterest Saves Me Money

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

I admit it. I have a new obsession. It's Pinterest. Not that I am on it every waking moment, but I check it out almost every day. I'm not re-doing a home, I'm not planning a wedding or decorating a nursery and I'm definitely not shopping for a total wardrobe revamp, as money is tight these days (when isn't it, huh?).

But, in a funny way, Pinterest saves me money. By looking around to see ideas and inspirations for so many things, It really makes me narrow what I like and what I don't -- which I jot down and keep with me as I do shop. I don't get swayed by just what I see any more. I'm picking and choosing carefully what I spend money on, to try to channel that pin that makes me gooey inside. I see some pins for ideas for great outfits ideas, ones that can incorporate items I already have and I note what I need to pull it all together - saving me from wasting money on things that won't work with items I already own.

Right, it sounds a little funny, but those inspiration boards are inspiring me to be a savvy shopper. And don't forget the great DIY ideas for crafts and presents and home décor...a huge money saver.

What about you - are you on Pinterest? Do you have sites that have inspired you to be a savvier shopper?

©iStockphoto.com/BeholdingEye     

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Yes I love pintrest it helps me be more creative! look forme if you want to see my boards at homemakermom on pinterest. I would love to follow some of you all also in Family Piggy Bank & see your boards!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 20, 2012 at 6:13 AM

I'm on pinterest and i have learned to make a few things including lots of cheap activities for my son. It is great.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I am not on pinterest, although I probably should join. One of the girls at work is always on there and shows us all these cool things she's going to do with her son.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:25 AM
I'm on pinterest and I also check it almost daily. I like to just click on everything and see random things come up. I've found a ton of holiday ideas that I'm looking forward to making for Ds's class parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I'm not on Pinterest. I prefer tip junkie

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I have a Pinterest account, but I really don't have time to "shop" the boards.  I'm already a savvy shopper.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I love all the different blogs I've came across from clicking a link on pinterest. I have gotten ideas to keep the kids busy, cheap ways to teach them colors, matching, etc. Also birthday cake designs, and frugal Christmas gift ideas. I hope to make my MIL a picture wreath. Just have to get the supplies and print off some pics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Thanks for mentioning tip junkie. I never heard of it but just checked it out. Looks pretty similar but already organized for you. No pinning but all the information.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I'm not on Pinterest. I prefer tip junkie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vamomto4
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I've not heard of it before but will definitely check it out.  It does sound interesting even though i am not sure how it works!

MDWife12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I am on pinterest but I haven't figured it all out yet lol I see amazing looking desserts and dishes but then they never give the recipe :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)