Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

It's Be An Angel Day: Frugal Ways to Be an Angel

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

Today, according to Daysoftheyear.com, is Be an Angel Day. Now, I don't know about you, but I do not fit in Kiddo's fairy wings, so donning wings and a halo may be a stretch. But there are some ways we can be an angel...and actually not cost you much money to spread some happiness, which as we all know is priceless.

Donate blood - Contact the American Red Cross or your hospital to find out when you can give blood.

Bake and bring - Break out that cookie dough or muffin tin. Bake a batch of yummies and drop it at the local firehouse or your pediatrician's office.

Write something that helps - It can be a mass email to church members with a recipe that saves folks money or a scoop on a great hidden restaurant gem in your neighborhood for the PTA newsletter, pass along knowledge and life hints.

Give your time - Does the older lady in your building want to chat? How about that 12-year-old girl next door who always comes over when you are weeding? Take time to talk and perhaps more importantly, listen.

Smile - Free and fantastic, a smile goes a long way. For that checkout lady who has six folks behind you to deal with or maybe that person you just pass in the parking lot, lift the edges of your mouth and spread some joy.

How are you an angel (even a frugal one)?

©iStockphoto.com/snake3d   

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Love, love, love these ideas! I have always wanted to bring to one of our service places a tray with baked goods.. I have a volunteer firehouse right at the end of my street and I think that is a great place to start.  I have brought doughnuts to my doctor's office and that makes the staff feel so appreciated... simple and not expensive.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:53 AM

And I love the "smile" one :)  makes you feel good and makes others feel good... and its FREE!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:36 AM

What a wonderful day to give back!

XVAmomma
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM
I was looking for an excuse to bake some cake and bring it to the office. Not that I really need one, it is always welcome but now I can add 2 wings and a halo and tickle their be an angel bone :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daerca574
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I give my time every wednesday to my youth group kids.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do all of those.

One thing that I've found can bring a smile to anyone's face, be it a frustrated cashier or harried waitress, is to call them by name (they always have name tags!) and sincerely thank them and wish them a good day.

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

great ideas. i bake and bring as much as i can but need to make a conscious effort to do it more

MDWife12
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I like those ideas and I think ultimately it is just about being there for someone! I have left random notes of encouragement on peoples cars in the parking lot :)

kellynh
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
We bring lunch to the hospice every two weeks in Whiteville, NC
momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Great ideas!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN