Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 15 Weeks To Go!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies
2 moms liked this

Jingle, jingle jangle...yup, that's me ringing some sleigh bells to get us all in the mood for this Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! How many weeks left 'til December? A mere 15 weeks. That may sound like a lot, but when you toss in PTA meetings and soccer games and Halloween fun, the holidays will be here before you know it, so let's continue getting prepared, saving and scanning deals to make these holidays be the not-so-break-the-bank kind.

We've brainstormed, got our lists going, maybe downloaded a helper elf in the form of an app or two...now, let's think about who we may be making presents for, other stuff we need, what we need to start to keep an eye out for, items we can buy in bulk and start buying now to spread out the costs over these months...as well as give you time to get the gifts made.

We will have plenty of great ideas for cheap, yet cheery DIY gifts in the weeks to come (as well as some you can do last-minute), but be on the lookout now for some of these things:

-- Kraft gift bags. These often come in bulk and are great if you need to give holiday gifts to many folks at work or teachers or church friends.

-- Solid color wrapping. Again, think red or green or holiday blue or white. All of these you can use other times of the year. Add a bit of holiday spice with ribbon and a bell or tree or start cutout.

-- Craft items. Are you giving Brownies in a Jar? Maybe personalized stationary? Stock up on paper or ink or jars.

Do you buy in bulk for holiday gifts? What DIY presents are you thinking about giving this year? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/jsolie        

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Ahhhh....no! Make time stop!

I don't buy in bulk, except some stocking stuffers because we will need 5 of certain things.

I am also probably not going to DIY it this year either. Holiday baking is enough for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Buy in bulk?  For baking supplies, maybe.  I'll buy paper in bulk but I can't keep it looking nice for a year between Christmases so I won't buy more than I'll use. 

DIY gifts:  I'm stitching a couple of wall hangings and maybe baking a few things, otherwise that'll be it.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Ive been buying a little along the way..buying in bulk is expensive. I'm not sure about DIY gifts..there's a ton of things on pinterest I'd like to make.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I usually do the DIY gifts for work...not family. :)

I am thinking of doing drink coasters & treats for the girls at work. I have never made a coaster before so I am going to have to look it up.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I can't wait till Christmas!

MDWife12
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I have never thought about buying in bulk for holiday gifts. I'm thinking about having the kids make some mugs for the grandparents - especially since one of our members has posted a really cheap and easy way to make personalized mugs!!! :) :)

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I'm so not ready. I buy all my wrapping paper after Christmas when it's 75% off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I don't make any gifts either. I want to go to the outlet between Thanksgiving and Christmas to get gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I don't have any diy gifts so far. I have some of the kids stuff bought though and will bake some stuff for a few people

ceciliam
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I'm just not thinking about this, yet. the only Christmas stuff I'm thinking about is items that will be listed to my on-line shop when it re-opens in September.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)