Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 15 Weeks To Go!

Posted by   + Show Post

Jingle, jingle jangle...yup, that's me ringing some sleigh bells to get us all in the mood for this Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! How many weeks left 'til December? A mere 15 weeks. That may sound like a lot, but when you toss in PTA meetings and soccer games and Halloween fun, the holidays will be here before you know it, so let's continue getting prepared, saving and scanning deals to make these holidays be the not-so-break-the-bank kind.

We've brainstormed, got our lists going, maybe downloaded a helper elf in the form of an app or two...now, let's think about who we may be making presents for, other stuff we need, what we need to start to keep an eye out for, items we can buy in bulk and start buying now to spread out the costs over these months...as well as give you time to get the gifts made.

We will have plenty of great ideas for cheap, yet cheery DIY gifts in the weeks to come (as well as some you can do last-minute), but be on the lookout now for some of these things:

-- Kraft gift bags. These often come in bulk and are great if you need to give holiday gifts to many folks at work or teachers or church friends.

-- Solid color wrapping. Again, think red or green or holiday blue or white. All of these you can use other times of the year. Add a bit of holiday spice with ribbon and a bell or tree or start cutout.

-- Craft items. Are you giving Brownies in a Jar? Maybe personalized stationary? Stock up on paper or ink or jars.

Do you buy in bulk for holiday gifts? What DIY presents are you thinking about giving this year? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/jsolie        

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-61):
TJandKarasMom
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Could you post a picture? I love that idea!

Quoting AngelPooh:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I want to do a lot of DIY stuff with stuff I already have..but we will see. My kids both want new (bigger) crocheted blankets, I made them each one when they were toddlers. I will try to make them bigger ones, but I'm not sure if I can get two done by Christmas, maybe I should start!

I will do some baking and I also found some ideas on pinterest I'd like to try, maybe mugs for grandparents. My mil loves pins and scarves but hates if we pay full price for anything, so I actually check goodwill and yard sales for her lol, she loves it. She also loves our DIY gifts..I think since we live ith her she likes to see us saving money and only spending on the kids ;). I also take a lot of pictures and sometimes frame them for my family, so I may do that..my mom keeps complaining that she didn't get one for mothers day. I'm considering ordering a bunch of prints and trying to sell them at a craft fair, but I'm pretty afraid to fail...

I gave up trying to crochet the whole big blanket when I wanted to make sure both kids would get one this century! i buy fleece and crochet trim around it and they love it. as they go through different stages and grow bigger it easy to make them new ones too. the boys dinosaur blankets are dino fleece trimmed in green yarn but are pretty small but i just make them bigger, about a yard, of the new avengers fleece they came out with and they loved them! thats what i did for all the little kids i babysit last year for christmas. i would never have had the time to crochet all of them blankets, but just crocheting around them worked reallky well for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN