Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Crockpot question. UPDATE.

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM
  • 27 Replies

I have been looking into getting a Crockpot or slow cooker. Ladies you have posted so many delicious recipes here that it is making me want to have and use one. So I am shopping around and have two questions.

1- Is there a better brand of slow cooker that you can recommend?

2- Does a crockpot use a lot of electricity? I am thinking comparing to the stove.. dont want my electric bill to go up :)

Thank you ladies.

Well I couldnt wait any longer, thank you all for your sound advice, here you have it... my new crockpot :)

Brand-spanking new and ready to go :)  I cant wait to start using it, yesterday I cooked chicken stew on the stove and as I was cooking I was thinking "next time I will do it in the slow cooker and wont have to worry about it" lol.. I am thinking about the day I have long hours at school and i can just start it in the morning before I leave and when I get home it will be done... its like MAGIC!! lol :) yeah you can tell I am excited.  Thank you again for all your input.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I don't think it uses a lot of electricity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM

The crockpot uses a FRACTION of the wattage the stove does even when it cooks all day vs. an hour on the stove or even in the oven.

I have a 6 quart Rival crockpot.  It tends to cook foods a little faster than other brands by about an hour or two, but that's fine with me.  I'm home all day so it doesn't hurt if I wait to start dinner at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m.  I've had a Hamilton-Beach and it was okay.  Be sure that you get one big enough for your family's needs.  The HB that I had died before my family got too big -- it never would have cooked enough for the large family I have now, and it never would have held our favorite roasts (beef, chicken).

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

It uses very little energy

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Rival is what I have & its been good

othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a Hamilton beach one and we really like it. I don't know how much less electricity it uses but it doesn't heat up the house like the oven

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Thank you Rhonda... I found some in JCP that look nice. they have a 6qt for $30.  I have a family of 5 now I hope this will be big enough.

Quoting michiganmom116:

The crockpot uses a FRACTION of the wattage the stove does even when it cooks all day vs. an hour on the stove or even in the oven.

I have a 6 quart Rival crockpot.  It tends to cook foods a little faster than other brands by about an hour or two, but that's fine with me.  I'm home all day so it doesn't hurt if I wait to start dinner at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m.  I've had a Hamilton-Beach and it was okay.  Be sure that you get one big enough for your family's needs.  The HB that I had died before my family got too big -- it never would have cooked enough for the large family I have now, and it never would have held our favorite roasts (beef, chicken).

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I have a Rival also. I don't remember the size of it. I've actually got a pork roast in there now :) lol. Like the other ladies said, it uses much less electricity.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Great questions. I also want to buy one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I dont think it does especially the new ones I have a GE one and love it

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Thank you all for your answers I will be buying one soon :) 

made meatloaf .. in my oven lol.. today and it came out really good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)