Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Question about laundry detergent

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 11 Replies
Okay so I am about out of laundry detergent. And with dh starting a new job next week we are a bit tight on money. I don't really want to go buy some. So I guess my question is can I just wash my laundry in vinigar or is there something else I can use until he gets his first paycheck?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I would sparingly use some Dawn dish detergent (or whatever else you use, but Dawn is the best) and rinse in the vinegar. You can also use a regular bar soap and grate it and use it that way along with the vinegar in the rinse.., but your clothes won't be as white, but in a pinch it would do and at least they would be clean and good smelling...

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I make my own detergent and fabric softner, if you are interested I can send you the ingredients...it will cost a little bit up front but will last a long time and will make many buckets of detergent.

LissieRun
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Sure that would great.

Quoting QuiltLover:

I make my own detergent and fabric softner, if you are interested I can send you the ingredients...it will cost a little bit up front but will last a long time and will make many buckets of detergent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 box of BORAX

1 box of Arm&Hammer BAKING SODA

1 box of Arm&Hammer WASHING SODA

3 bars of FELS NAPTHA SOAP (or any gentle bar soap,Ivory,etc.)(grated)

2 containers OYCLEAN (I use generic at the Dollar Store)

Use 1 cup per load, it will NOT be sudsy, so don't be alarmed....Mix this all together and store in a container with a lid.

Homemade Liquid Detergent

3 pints of water, 1 bar of gentle soap (ivory, Fels Naptha, etc.)..grate your bar soap and add to the water on top of yor stove, on medium heat, let the soap disslove, stirring, then add 1/2 cup of WASHING SODA,and 1/2 cup of BORAX...stir this constantly and let the ingredients disslove, it wil become thick...remove from heat and in a 3 gallon bucket,add the heated mixture to enough water to go to the top of the bucket....Let sit for 24 hours, it will "gel", just take a long spoon and stir..If you leave it in the bucket (you can get these at Lowe's, etc with a lid) it will gel and you will just need to stir it before using. Use 1/2 to 1 cup per load, depending on your washer setting.If you want your detergent to have a "smell" just add a few drops of esstential oil, I never have, I like the "clean" smell of the soap.This detergent will not suds, but it is wonderful, pennies per load. All of the ingredients can be found in the laundry and cleaning aisle at WalMart.

Homemade Fabric Softner

1...16 ounce bottle of your favorite HAIR CONDITIONER (scented or not)

2 cups of WHITE VINEGAR

6 cups of WATER

Mix in a gallon jug, use 1/4 cup per load.

suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I agree

Quoting QuiltLover:

I would sparingly use some Dawn dish detergent (or whatever else you use, but Dawn is the best) and rinse in the vinegar. You can also use a regular bar soap and grate it and use it that way along with the vinegar in the rinse.., but your clothes won't be as white, but in a pinch it would do and at least they would be clean and good smelling...

LissieRun
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Thank you so much, I will have to try that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstevens10
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I actually bought Trend powder det. It was cheap like $3 for a box (lg box) and its awesome! I got mine at the dollar store. I rinse with vinegar. We love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Interesting - I never would have guessed to use Dawn dish soap lol, I will have to keep this in mind when I am low or out of laundry detergent :)

Quoting QuiltLover:

LissieRun
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
I have been told about before, but was always worried that it was wrong. Lol I should learn to listen to my mil

Quoting MDWife12:

Interesting - I never would have guessed to use Dawn dish soap lol, I will have to keep this in mind when I am low or out of laundry detergent :)

Quoting QuiltLover:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Baking soda
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement