Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Kindergarten "communal snacks"

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
  • 47 Replies
My kindergartner's teacher is asking for us to do community snacks. Basically on your day of the month you bring 20 snacks and drinks. Each child has a day to being them. I hate this idea, but was wondering what you ladies thought of it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Being that I have strict standards for our diet, I'd hate the idea.  However, it is pretty common.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I dont have any school age children, but I imagine it would be a pain to figure out what 20 kids need for a snack.

lisa601
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't mind the snacks but why drinks? In our K each kid has a water bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

we done that one year in my daughters elem school class and it seemed to work out fine.

StephB060811
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Parents donated large boxes of snacks when my daughter was in kindergarten. I remember one of the days i walked up with a huge box of gold fish and all of them were staring at me drooling. It was the cutest thing ever lol.

ETHANMASONMOMMY
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM
I have done this when I was a prek teacher and my son did it last yr in VPK and they are doing it this yr in K. It has never been a prob to me. Y dont u like it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Yeah they do that in Kindergarten as well as in Pre-school here. Now in first grade they have a snack cupboard and once it is getting low the parents are notified to send something in with their kid for the cupboard. Anyway, I don't mind the idea I know there are kids whose families can't afford to send a snack in with them every day.

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

i'm not sure what i would think about it... I guess i would be ok with it if it's healthy snacks and not cookies and junk food.

ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
3 moms liked this
My problem is that I don't feed my kids crap. They occasionally get some cookies or a certain type of chips, but we try to avoid processed chemical laden fake food. To me, goldfish crackers would be a once a week thing, but not paired up with one day of chips, another of twinkies, another of crackers, and finally a day of gogurt and that is 5 snacks I would never allow my kids to eat in a week. They are nutritionally devoid. So I basically have no control if some parent brings kool aid drinks or Capri sun. We don't give our kids high fructose corn syrup, sugary drinks, or artificial colors and flavors. I want to send him with a almond milk (or organic milk) box and some sort of vegetable or fruit....maybe even some sort of cheese snack. But I can't do that - I get to let him stuff his face with garbage because some other parent provides the snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM
I would hate that idea. Why can't kids just bring their own food?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN