Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home
My kindergartner's teacher is asking for us to do community snacks. Basically on your day of the month you bring 20 snacks and drinks. Each child has a day to being them. I hate this idea, but was wondering what you ladies thought of it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Plus 20 organic juice boxes and some fruits and veggies for 20 kids will cost WAY more than a couple packs of Capri sun and a bag of pretzels. I refuse to buy junk, so I'm stuck giving the other kids great stuff but getting fake food in return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

With all the food allergies and other dietary restrictions some kids HAVE to have, and then those that make healthier choices like your family is making, I cannot fathom how the school decided this is a good idea?

ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
And there aren't any restrictions in place - like it needs to be healthy, or no peanuts, or whatever. There aren't any allergies in our class, but still....some guidelines might be nice. It's cheaper to buy junk than real food. Most people's ideas of healthy are not what I consider healthy....so it's just annoying that this has been taken away from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM
I've never heard of this before. The schools in our area just don't do it. All my local mommy friends are like "what? Thats insane!" It's only this teacher who is instituting it. The others still have individual snacks.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Being that I have strict standards for our diet, I'd hate the idea.  However, it is pretty common.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM
I am not sure if I like the idea either seeing as I like to do healthy snacks I think its a bit much to do drinks as well why can't they just bring their own water bottle in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Maybe you can talk to the teacher about your ds bringing is own food.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

When ds was in kinder each kid brought their own snack, but if your kid forgot a snack then they just didn't get one. Maybe the teachers doing it this way so she knows each kid will have a snack.

deltadawn1975
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM
I wouldn't like it. Here each student takes their own snacks and drinks to school every day.
xxMocahFrappxx
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Participation is optional so Id focus on providing my one child with snacks day to day and let the Teacher know my choice to opt out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I would be okay with it.The only thing would be minding everyone's diet and allergies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement