Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home
My kindergartner's teacher is asking for us to do community snacks. Basically on your day of the month you bring 20 snacks and drinks. Each child has a day to being them. I hate this idea, but was wondering what you ladies thought of it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My daughters preschool did something like that, each kid had to bring in a snack each month that would be enough for everyone. A big bag of animal crackers and a bottle of juice would work great

catngabsmom
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM
The community snack thing is done here in pre-k only. In kindergarten one of my daughters teachers had included on the supply list a package of 8 individually bagged gold fish. They were kept in a cupboard just in case a child forgot a snack. At the end of the year party, she put all the left over bags in a bowl for the kids to grab one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Sounds very common but I mean it would be hard especially if you didn't want your kid eating something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Well I emailed the teacher asking for guidelines to be implemented. I asked that she request that parents bring healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc) and that the drinks need to be water, 100% juice or milk boxes. I know that's asking a lot, but there's no reason any kids need junk. I am thankful the kids don't have any allergies, but I still think its better to give them healthy snack options instead of processed garbage. I was super nice in my email, so we will see how it goes. It's nearly impossible to talk to the teacher any other way aside from email.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM
If they would do away with the communal snacks I would be willing to go buy a Sam's club box of pre-packaged snacks for the kids who forgot their snacks. I'd do it just do I had the choice of packing my child's snack every day.

Quoting catngabsmom:

The community snack thing is done here in pre-k only. In kindergarten one of my daughters teachers had included on the supply list a package of 8 individually bagged gold fish. They were kept in a cupboard just in case a child forgot a snack. At the end of the year party, she put all the left over bags in a bowl for the kids to grab one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM

You made a good point - my daughter has Celiac and she starts pre-school in September, I will find out more how snack time works during orientation. But to be completely honest I don't trust someone who doesn't deal with gluten free eating on a daily basis to bring a snack in for my kid. There are SO many hidden sources of gluten that people don't realize it and she could end up getting very sick very quickly. Not to mention I am also finding out that a lot of ADULTS don't even know what gluten is!

Quoting Cafe Steph:

With all the food allergies and other dietary restrictions some kids HAVE to have, and then those that make healthier choices like your family is making, I cannot fathom how the school decided this is a good idea?

MDWife12
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hopefully you get a good response back from her :). I agree there should be guidelines implemented. Last year in Kindergarten and the two years before that in pre-k there were guidelines that it had to be something healthy and the juice had to be 100% juice. They even sent home a list of ideas for the snacks - made it SO much easier!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Well I emailed the teacher asking for guidelines to be implemented. I asked that she request that parents bring healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc) and that the drinks need to be water, 100% juice or milk boxes. I know that's asking a lot, but there's no reason any kids need junk. I am thankful the kids don't have any allergies, but I still think its better to give them healthy snack options instead of processed garbage. I was super nice in my email, so we will see how it goes. It's nearly impossible to talk to the teacher any other way aside from email.

ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I have a gluten intolerance (not severe but still makes me feel gross) and so I have cut the gluten intake for my whole family by 80%. I still allow them some because they are kids and it's not their fault mommy can't eat it. So I do try to limit it without taking it out entirely for them. It is amazing what foods have hidden sources of gluten. My friend, trying to be helpful to our diet, provided us with a playdate snack of 100% whole wheat pretzelly type things, but she didn't realize that wheat is gluten. I think she was thinking it was the white flour. So even adults are clueless when it comes to stuff like that.

Quoting MDWife12:

You made a good point - my daughter has Celiac and she starts pre-school in September, I will find out more how snack time works during orientation. But to be completely honest I don't trust someone who doesn't deal with gluten free eating on a daily basis to bring a snack in for my kid. There are SO many hidden sources of gluten that people don't realize it and she could end up getting very sick very quickly. Not to mention I am also finding out that a lot of ADULTS don't even know what gluten is!

Quoting Cafe Steph:

With all the food allergies and other dietary restrictions some kids HAVE to have, and then those that make healthier choices like your family is making, I cannot fathom how the school decided this is a good idea?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM
I hope I get a good response too. I hate being one of "those" parents.

Quoting MDWife12:

Hopefully you get a good response back from her :). I agree there should be guidelines implemented. Last year in Kindergarten and the two years before that in pre-k there were guidelines that it had to be something healthy and the juice had to be 100% juice. They even sent home a list of ideas for the snacks - made it SO much easier!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Oh yeah I have seen that all too often. I have heard people say "well your daughter can have white bread then!" LOL no that is not how it works - white bread still contains flour, which still very much has gluten in it! Unfortunately that comment came from a lunch lady at my sons school :/ But atleast your friend was trying to be helpful and she got a lesson on the fact that whole wheat IS gluten.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I have a gluten intolerance (not severe but still makes me feel gross) and so I have cut the gluten intake for my whole family by 80%. I still allow them some because they are kids and it's not their fault mommy can't eat it. So I do try to limit it without taking it out entirely for them. It is amazing what foods have hidden sources of gluten. My friend, trying to be helpful to our diet, provided us with a playdate snack of 100% whole wheat pretzelly type things, but she didn't realize that wheat is gluten. I think she was thinking it was the white flour. So even adults are clueless when it comes to stuff like that.

Quoting MDWife12:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN