Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kindergartner's teacher is asking for us to do community snacks. Basically on your day of the month you bring 20 snacks and drinks. Each child has a day to being them. I hate this idea, but was wondering what you ladies thought of it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Replies (41-47):
MDWife12
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That is a good idea :)

Quoting catngabsmom:

The community snack thing is done here in pre-k only. In kindergarten one of my daughters teachers had included on the supply list a package of 8 individually bagged gold fish. They were kept in a cupboard just in case a child forgot a snack. At the end of the year party, she put all the left over bags in a bowl for the kids to grab one.

catngabsmom
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM

fresh fruit, veggies, etc are super hard to do as a communal snack thing, i don't see how that will work out. if anything, if it were me, i would just simply communicate that my child will not be participating in the communal snack thing and that i would be providing for my own child daily. but in the whole grand scheme of things, i know i feed my children a healthy breakfast, i pack healthy lunches, dinners and snacks at my house are healty also, i cook from scratch, buy organic, etc. so i know my kids are eating healthy and wholesome at home, i don't think a gogurt or some gold fish will make or break any childs (allergy kids not included) nutritional goals their parents have in mind for them. it is up to us as a parent to determine how we feed our own children and to teach them healthy eating habits, so that when they do go to school, they don't have the glazed over eyes in the lunch room and start swapping out carrot sticks and hummus for someones rice krispy treat or chocolate covered donut holes. and i can guarantee that it will happen because i have seen it happen!!! my own children eat well and i know it, but i do however keep some mainstream junk foods in the house, my kids don't take advantage of it, they don't ask or beg for it on an hourly basis, etc. their friends come over, whose parents are hyper vigilant on organic, no trans fat, blah, blah, blah and you should see what these kids do to my pantry at a sleep over. it is insane and downright pathetic!!!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Well I emailed the teacher asking for guidelines to be implemented. I asked that she request that parents bring healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc) and that the drinks need to be water, 100% juice or milk boxes. I know that's asking a lot, but there's no reason any kids need junk. I am thankful the kids don't have any allergies, but I still think its better to give them healthy snack options instead of processed garbage. I was super nice in my email, so we will see how it goes. It's nearly impossible to talk to the teacher any other way aside from email.

Erica

Mom to
Caterina-10.5
Gabriella-9
Lisha77
by Alisha on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM
My son didn't have snack time in Kindergarten, but I don't like the "communal" snack. Too many kids have varying allergies and diet restrictions. I would hate for a child not to get something because he or she cannot have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I'm sure! lol. We still let them have an occasional junk treat - just not every day. We have some crackers, pop chips, and even some Oreo cookies in the pantry. So they do get it, but not every day. I'm thankful my kids really do like the real foods. They fought over a baggie of grapes today instead of asking for Oreos.

Quoting catngabsmom:

fresh fruit, veggies, etc are super hard to do as a communal snack thing, i don't see how that will work out. if anything, if it were me, i would just simply communicate that my child will not be participating in the communal snack thing and that i would be providing for my own child daily. but in the whole grand scheme of things, i know i feed my children a healthy breakfast, i pack healthy lunches, dinners and snacks at my house are healty also, i cook from scratch, buy organic, etc. so i know my kids are eating healthy and wholesome at home, i don't think a gogurt or some gold fish will make or break any childs (allergy kids not included) nutritional goals their parents have in mind for them. it is up to us as a parent to determine how we feed our own children and to teach them healthy eating habits, so that when they do go to school, they don't have the glazed over eyes in the lunch room and start swapping out carrot sticks and hummus for someones rice krispy treat or chocolate covered donut holes. and i can guarantee that it will happen because i have seen it happen!!! my own children eat well and i know it, but i do however keep some mainstream junk foods in the house, my kids don't take advantage of it, they don't ask or beg for it on an hourly basis, etc. their friends come over, whose parents are hyper vigilant on organic, no trans fat, blah, blah, blah and you should see what these kids do to my pantry at a sleep over. it is insane and downright pathetic!!!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Well I emailed the teacher asking for guidelines to be implemented. I asked that she request that parents bring healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc) and that the drinks need to be water, 100% juice or milk boxes. I know that's asking a lot, but there's no reason any kids need junk. I am thankful the kids don't have any allergies, but I still think its better to give them healthy snack options instead of processed garbage. I was super nice in my email, so we will see how it goes. It's nearly impossible to talk to the teacher any other way aside from email.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa823
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This was one of my biggest petpeeves about Kindergarten! It was handled the same way for us! When it was my turn, I tried so hard to send in something healthy, but everyone had to send in something non-perishable on the first day of the month and it couldn't be homemade. I ALWAYS sent in mini waterbottles as a drink and would send in Kashi cookies or Auntie Annies stuff as the snack. I'm 100% with you!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

My problem is that I don't feed my kids crap. They occasionally get some cookies or a certain type of chips, but we try to avoid processed chemical laden fake food. To me, goldfish crackers would be a once a week thing, but not paired up with one day of chips, another of twinkies, another of crackers, and finally a day of gogurt and that is 5 snacks I would never allow my kids to eat in a week. They are nutritionally devoid. So I basically have no control if some parent brings kool aid drinks or Capri sun. We don't give our kids high fructose corn syrup, sugary drinks, or artificial colors and flavors. I want to send him with a almond milk (or organic milk) box and some sort of vegetable or fruit....maybe even some sort of cheese snack. But I can't do that - I get to let him stuff his face with garbage because some other parent provides the snack.

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM
My sons preschool did it and it annoyed me. Things were usually homemade and I have no idea how sanitary/completely filthy all these parents are. Yuck. My son didn't care though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Dislike this because some parents might get cheap and get snacks that aren't good for you at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)