Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Tackling The To-Do List: Your Number One Thing

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
3 moms liked this

I love lists. For a while, my Twitter handle was The Motherhood List, that is how much I love lists. I have gone through 143 notebooks, just with my to-do lists (perhaps that is an exaggeration but not by much). Yes, I love lists and am a perpetual listmaker. No apologies here - I think lists are a great thing to have, to keep you on track and, as we have discussed on here as often as I have wiped my kiddo's tush, keeps you on budget.

So, the to-do list. It is an art. Who else keeps that list, crosses a few items off and then rewrites the list, copying over to-dos...me too. It is part of it. Which is frustrating and makes one think you are a hamster on the wheel of to-dos.

Until I realized the number one thing about the to-do list.

It will never get done.

I don't mean this in a "you should give up" way, I mean in it, if you finally realize this and prioritize your list, you will actually feel accomplishment without completing your list. Really. Here's the thing. Every day you may have three tasks (aside from getting the kids to school and making sure they are fed and safe) that you have to get done, that if you don't, will really make the rest of the week (or longer) go better or not go well at all. Three tasks, that is all I say to really concentrate on...if you get those done, fabulous. If you get more done, that is all gravy, icing, bonus, extra cash you find in the pocket of the coat you wore a month ago.   

What is on the top of your to-do list? How do you tackle it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SparkleArt        

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now it is working on an upcoming consignment sale. I know I can't get it all done in one day, but I work as much as I can on it each day, and if I reach a point where I feel I've accomplished enough, then I am happy.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I need to start making a list.... :( I suck at them!

momkaribg
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now it is getting yard sale stuff together and cleaning out my garage.

momkaribg
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM

We have one coming up in october.

Quoting elasmimi:

Right now it is working on an upcoming consignment sale. I know I can't get it all done in one day, but I work as much as I can on it each day, and if I reach a point where I feel I've accomplished enough, then I am happy.

ceciliam
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I'm a huge list maker. Top of my list is all the back to school prep.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks to Flylady, I have daily, weekly, and monthly lists.  I stay on top of them and I don't stress about much on the lists.

Today's list #1:  polish the furniture in the living room.  outdoors:  take care of the weeds around the house. 

See?  no stress.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I don't really make to-do lists. The only thing on my list for today is laundry.
TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I only make lists for important big things. Like vacation prep and birthday parties. Other than that I just have it in my head
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Right now waiting for this storm to hit land is on my.to do list
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Get dressers and clothes switched around.  I will do a little each day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement