Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Tackling The To-Do List: Your Number One Thing

Posted by   + Show Post

I love lists. For a while, my Twitter handle was The Motherhood List, that is how much I love lists. I have gone through 143 notebooks, just with my to-do lists (perhaps that is an exaggeration but not by much). Yes, I love lists and am a perpetual listmaker. No apologies here - I think lists are a great thing to have, to keep you on track and, as we have discussed on here as often as I have wiped my kiddo's tush, keeps you on budget.

So, the to-do list. It is an art. Who else keeps that list, crosses a few items off and then rewrites the list, copying over to-dos...me too. It is part of it. Which is frustrating and makes one think you are a hamster on the wheel of to-dos.

Until I realized the number one thing about the to-do list.

It will never get done.

I don't mean this in a "you should give up" way, I mean in it, if you finally realize this and prioritize your list, you will actually feel accomplishment without completing your list. Really. Here's the thing. Every day you may have three tasks (aside from getting the kids to school and making sure they are fed and safe) that you have to get done, that if you don't, will really make the rest of the week (or longer) go better or not go well at all. Three tasks, that is all I say to really concentrate on...if you get those done, fabulous. If you get more done, that is all gravy, icing, bonus, extra cash you find in the pocket of the coat you wore a month ago.   

What is on the top of your to-do list? How do you tackle it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SparkleArt        

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

My to do list is very long.  It has both difficult things and easy things.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I tackle it by taking it 1 day at a time.

spinmom13
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM

I am a big list maker,yet all you ladies sound far more organized than myself. I need toget my  priorities a bit more clear maybe.Will try again tomorrow.

Marimo895
by New Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I always say I'm going to do this & I'm going to do that, but i never get to it. So I'm going to start a to do list, & Hopefuly I get it done.
kellynh
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I'm on vacation... Getting dressed is my top :)
jaydonsmom1031
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I have heard of another way of doing lists and that was to make your list into mini steps of every thing that you wanted to accomplish.  When I write it out that way it seems to get to overwhelming and this way seems to be alot easier and make it so i don't feel so overwhelmed. Thank You!

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I make a list and LOSE it~!

proudNana7
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Lists to keep on track is very helpful. The first thing is when starting a get "organized project" I find it beneficial to look at (lets say a whole room) it in squared off areas, broke into reasonable time frames, stop when getting tried or frustrated, important!, have boxes, baskets to keep similar items. Buy small rolls (hardware store) of different color tape to label each container (designate i.e.  white-trash, red consignment, blue donate, green storage &so on& so on. Over a week or sooner you'll find yourself to be the marvel you have become. Take the time to go out of your way to walk that small little item found out of place, to thenew location now situated for it. Everything in its place don't let that slide or you will be revisiting a job all ready completed, never leave a rm. without something needing to be put away, never empty handed is a quote used here.Than you move onto the next project. Everyone knows not to mess up or else- right!!!.. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN