Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Tackling The To-Do List: Your Number One Thing

Posted by   + Show Post

I love lists. For a while, my Twitter handle was The Motherhood List, that is how much I love lists. I have gone through 143 notebooks, just with my to-do lists (perhaps that is an exaggeration but not by much). Yes, I love lists and am a perpetual listmaker. No apologies here - I think lists are a great thing to have, to keep you on track and, as we have discussed on here as often as I have wiped my kiddo's tush, keeps you on budget.

So, the to-do list. It is an art. Who else keeps that list, crosses a few items off and then rewrites the list, copying over to-dos...me too. It is part of it. Which is frustrating and makes one think you are a hamster on the wheel of to-dos.

Until I realized the number one thing about the to-do list.

It will never get done.

I don't mean this in a "you should give up" way, I mean in it, if you finally realize this and prioritize your list, you will actually feel accomplishment without completing your list. Really. Here's the thing. Every day you may have three tasks (aside from getting the kids to school and making sure they are fed and safe) that you have to get done, that if you don't, will really make the rest of the week (or longer) go better or not go well at all. Three tasks, that is all I say to really concentrate on...if you get those done, fabulous. If you get more done, that is all gravy, icing, bonus, extra cash you find in the pocket of the coat you wore a month ago.   

What is on the top of your to-do list? How do you tackle it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SparkleArt        

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
sukainah
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I also need to start making lists.  Going through the pile of papers in my kitchen would be at the top of my list, though it seems to grow and grow, even when I get it organized lol

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

On the top of my list for today is to clean up the house from our recent trip(un-pack all the bags, laundry, etc.).  I just keep plugging away at it and it gets done eventually, lol.

goddess99
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Decluttering the basement. I'm having my dd help before school starts up again.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Mine is cleaning out my walk in closet.

mrswillie
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Right now I am planning a Halloween Party fundraiser for PFLAG

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Clean out the closets. I need to go to the store and get some cheap oranizing items...and donation bags/boxes to put things into.

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Thanks to Flylady, I have daily, weekly, and monthly lists.  I stay on top of them and I don't stress about much on the lists.

Today's list #1:  polish the furniture in the living room.  outdoors:  take care of the weeds around the house. 

See?  no stress.

Thats a great plan ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I only make lists for important big things. Like vacation prep and birthday parties. Other than that I just have it in my head

I also make a gift list of what I want to get who. :)

CafeMom Tickers
Leelee1008
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

get our car running. I annoy DH until things get done, like today he FINALLY took the alternator to be tested. I was right, it was bad.

Leelee1008
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

OH I am supposed to be working on one myself. its sept 15th and right now I dont think im going to be able to participate in it if our car does not get fixed any time soon.

Quoting elasmimi:

Right now it is working on an upcoming consignment sale. I know I can't get it all done in one day, but I work as much as I can on it each day, and if I reach a point where I feel I've accomplished enough, then I am happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)