Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Tackling The To-Do List: Your Number One Thing

Posted by   + Show Post

I love lists. For a while, my Twitter handle was The Motherhood List, that is how much I love lists. I have gone through 143 notebooks, just with my to-do lists (perhaps that is an exaggeration but not by much). Yes, I love lists and am a perpetual listmaker. No apologies here - I think lists are a great thing to have, to keep you on track and, as we have discussed on here as often as I have wiped my kiddo's tush, keeps you on budget.

So, the to-do list. It is an art. Who else keeps that list, crosses a few items off and then rewrites the list, copying over to-dos...me too. It is part of it. Which is frustrating and makes one think you are a hamster on the wheel of to-dos.

Until I realized the number one thing about the to-do list.

It will never get done.

I don't mean this in a "you should give up" way, I mean in it, if you finally realize this and prioritize your list, you will actually feel accomplishment without completing your list. Really. Here's the thing. Every day you may have three tasks (aside from getting the kids to school and making sure they are fed and safe) that you have to get done, that if you don't, will really make the rest of the week (or longer) go better or not go well at all. Three tasks, that is all I say to really concentrate on...if you get those done, fabulous. If you get more done, that is all gravy, icing, bonus, extra cash you find in the pocket of the coat you wore a month ago.   

What is on the top of your to-do list? How do you tackle it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/SparkleArt        

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I need a list to start my list :P

Quoting Leelee1008:

me too

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I need to start making a list.... :( I suck at them!

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM
I have so much to do my life is a mess I need to start a list
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I need to get my house done and ready to sell
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM
I love lists
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I like lists but only use them occasionally. Like for getting a party together or for Christmas gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM

We have list for things we want to do around the house.   We wrote it ALL down so it is like 50 things then cross stuff off as we complete it.   My DH always feels like there is so much left, so when he gets in a mood, I take it out and read off the things that were already done.   

For daily choirs I don't make lists, just clean when something is dirty.    I do make shopping lists because I hate forgetting things.

For work I do what this article says.   I write down everything I need to do, then circle the top 3.   Once I finish those I circle the next 3.   I re-write the list if it gets to messy about once every 1-2 weeks depending on how busy I am.   A list stresses some people out but it makes me relax by just focusing on the ONE thing I am working on and since I have even the smallest to-dos written down I don't have to worry about forgetting it. 

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Getting everything set up to homeschool ds is my priority right now. I'm happy because I bought his desk yesterday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I hate to do lists lol

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM

getting ready for joey's bday party on saturday

catherine595
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

take a prayer walk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN