Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Fare for all

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 17 Replies

In MN we have a program called Fare for all - not sure if other states have it? Anyway, there are no income restrictions and you can go buy packages of food which end up being 40% less than the amount you would spend at the grocery store. During the holidays they have a package which will include all the fixings for a holiday meal. They have vegetarian package, meat packages and a regular package. The regular package consist of 3-4 meat items (turkey, beef, chicken or fish) with potatoes, onions, carrots, 2 different vegetables as well as 2 different fruits - $20.

Anyway, the program purchases these items in bulk from the distribution centers. My question is has anyone ever participated in a program like Fare for all? Do you have a fare for all in your state? I am going today to go get a regular package as well as a mega meat package - all for $45. The mega meat package has 7-8 different kinds of meats! I'm excited!

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
It sounds a lot like what Angel Food Ministries used to be. We bought a box a few times but were really disappointed with the quality of the meats and produce. I knew I could do better with shopping using MY methods, so we quit.
MDWife12
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I've never done this before so I am curious to see the quality of the meats and produce! Hopefully it will be worth it :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

It sounds a lot like what Angel Food Ministries used to be. We bought a box a few times but were really disappointed with the quality of the meats and produce. I knew I could do better with shopping using MY methods, so we quit.

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM
I never heard of this before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
I've not heard of it, so I'm not sure if something similar exists. We are pretty particular about our meat and produce, so I've resigned myself to the fact that how I shop Is as good as it gets. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraPerry
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM
bump

CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Never heard of it before. I've got our budget for groceries pretty well handled. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Let us know how you like it btw!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I've never heard of that.Sounds great though

MDWife12
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Well I went and surprisingly the produce looks really good. They also had different specials 4 plums for $1 or a huge box of frozen lasagna for $2 - I did the plums as I don't like frozen lasagna not to mention it is full of gluten which my daughter can't have. But I got some fish, chicken, roast and some hamburger meat! They come out to our location once a month so I think I will do it again next month. They did say they aren't coming out in December and they are going to start cutting back how often they come out here because (we are 2 1/2 hrs from the cities) they lose $400 a month by coming out to our site :( But atleast I can go through November! :)

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM
This is the same thing for me.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)