Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

In MN we have a program called Fare for all - not sure if other states have it? Anyway, there are no income restrictions and you can go buy packages of food which end up being 40% less than the amount you would spend at the grocery store. During the holidays they have a package which will include all the fixings for a holiday meal. They have vegetarian package, meat packages and a regular package. The regular package consist of 3-4 meat items (turkey, beef, chicken or fish) with potatoes, onions, carrots, 2 different vegetables as well as 2 different fruits - $20.

Anyway, the program purchases these items in bulk from the distribution centers. My question is has anyone ever participated in a program like Fare for all? Do you have a fare for all in your state? I am going today to go get a regular package as well as a mega meat package - all for $45. The mega meat package has 7-8 different kinds of meats! I'm excited!

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Replies (11-17):
suziejax
by Suzie on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

nope

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That sounds great! I wish there was something like that near me

Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Never done any of those programs Good Luck with it all.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM

We had one in Illinois it was Share program but this discontinued it the month we were going to do it.  I haven't checked since we moved to florida. 

mendyd
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

It sounds a lot like what Angel Food Ministries used to be. We bought a box a few times but were really disappointed with the quality of the meats and produce. I knew I could do better with shopping using MY methods, so we quit.

We would buy a box with my mother from AFM and it wasn't always things we liked.  I don't think they have it in our area anymore.

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I'm in Minnesota and I have heard of this program.  I thought about checking into it a couple of times, but I worry about expired meat or bad meat in general.

sparkyco2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I am from WI and we have this here though i have never used it one of my friends has and she loves it, one time she bought 2 packages and got a ton of beautiful strawberries which she froze for her kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN