Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Tips to Help Your PTA Save $$$ and Time

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

I just got the student/family handbook for Kiddo's new school. I have mentioned she's entering Kindergarten, right? Yes, my baby will officially be a school kid in a matter of mere days...sniff. Anyway, I want to get involved, be a part of the school community as much as my Life allows. Fundraising committee? Community events group? At her preschool, I helped out with the newsletter and fundraising and learned a lot from the PTA gurus, moms and dads who had more than one kiddo and had been doing this "helping out the school thing" for a while.  

-- If there aren't too many volunteers, concentrate on a few larger fundraisers rather than many small ones. Not only do you avoid volunteer burnout, but also small ones are usually don't bring in enough money to be worth the time and energy of those pitching in.

-- Think beyond the bake sale. Hold workshops for say $5 or $10 per head and invite speakers from your area to talk about things we all care about: a local tech guy who can discuss internet controls and settings for your family computer, a lawyer to discuss the ins and outs of making a will, a financial advisor who will chat about setting up college funds, even a fashion stylist about how to find your best colors or save money on your wardrobe. A great place to find these speakers: the parent body!

-- Approach businesses. Many local businesses want new and relatively cheap ways to reach new customers. Ask them if they would sponsor an event. They give a certain amount of money to help your organization throw a poker night or fun run. They get publicity and a tax write-off and you can then have all of the proceeds go to your PTA fund.

-- Treat the teachers simply. A little goes a long way for those men and women that do so much for our kids. A little gift bag with treats or seeds to plant is simple and cheap to do. Ask a local massage therapist to donate her time to give 15-minute mini massages to teachers who sign up for one day during lunch hours.

Do you help with your PTA? What are your best hints for a successful fundraiser? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/PinkTag 

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I want to help with the PTO, but it's always at the worst times for me.  We do support the school through PTO fundraisers, donations, and in other ways.  It's just hard to go to all the meetings and everthing else.  One day though...one day.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM

I'm so glad I don't have to mess with PTA anymore.  There were always too many chiefs and not enough volunteers, so there would have been no way a lowly volunteer like me would have been able to even make a suggestion. 

I've been involved in fundraisers for our fire dept.  I made quilts for raffles, spent hours baking for bake sales, contributed a hundred recipes for a cookbook (and many were discarded because they didn't want "too many from one person" )  and tried to get more ideas going.  They had the opposite problem of the PTA:  not enough people in charge (but the ones that were in charge were definitely not open to change) and too many people willing to just put in an hour here or there.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM

When I was in the pta in new york (my son's school) the moms knew each other and kept the circle tight... i tried to be friends and help, tried to bring new ideas.. but all I got was a smile and a "we will see"... so I left it at that.  So sad that some mothers (and fathers) get on that wagon and think that they are running a million dollar corporation :/

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm so glad I don't have to mess with PTA anymore.  There were always too many chiefs and not enough volunteers, so there would have been no way a lowly volunteer like me would have been able to even make a suggestion. 

I've been involved in fundraisers for our fire dept.  I made quilts for raffles, spent hours baking for bake sales, contributed a hundred recipes for a cookbook (and many were discarded because they didn't want "too many from one person" )  and tried to get more ideas going.  They had the opposite problem of the PTA:  not enough people in charge (but the ones that were in charge were definitely not open to change) and too many people willing to just put in an hour here or there.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM

this past year I helped with the bake sale at my son's high school.. the other parents were ok, but I still felt like an outsider. This year I am going to try again and this time I will put all my will into it.  With my daughter's school (she starts first grade) I am going to be there full force, they have been nice so far and they need the help. Since my kids will be going to these schools until they graduate and go to college I think this time I will have a good welcoming.  Thanks for the tips.. I know our town businesses are involved.  The idea of inviting speakers is a great one.. most of the parents in my kids schools are professionals in something.. so I will bring that idea up :)

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I also thought of a beauty day.  Ask the parents that are prof. beauticians to donate their time and have a salon set up for them to sell  makeovers and all proceeds go to the schools.

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I think a book sale or yard sale would be huge ! Imagine if all the parents donated some things to sell at a HUGE yardsale.....many of your locals would show up and you would make all Profit !

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quoting yvonne37:

I also thought of a beauty day.  Ask the parents that are prof. beauticians to donate their time and have a salon set up for them to sell  makeovers and all proceeds go to the schools.

I would totally pay for a pedicure to support the school ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
mallowcup17
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

good ideas. we always had craft fairs and holiday related events. we definitely did the traditional bake sales too but it wasnt the focus. this was when i was a kid. im not sure about the PTAs around here i have met some of the parents and i can imagine its a competition like everything else in this town :(

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

me too! thats a wonderful idea!

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting yvonne37:

I would totally pay for a pedicure to support the school ! :)

ceciliam
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I get involved with the classroom more than the PTO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)