Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Tips to Help Your PTA Save $$$ and Time

Posted by   + Show Post

I just got the student/family handbook for Kiddo's new school. I have mentioned she's entering Kindergarten, right? Yes, my baby will officially be a school kid in a matter of mere days...sniff. Anyway, I want to get involved, be a part of the school community as much as my Life allows. Fundraising committee? Community events group? At her preschool, I helped out with the newsletter and fundraising and learned a lot from the PTA gurus, moms and dads who had more than one kiddo and had been doing this "helping out the school thing" for a while.  

-- If there aren't too many volunteers, concentrate on a few larger fundraisers rather than many small ones. Not only do you avoid volunteer burnout, but also small ones are usually don't bring in enough money to be worth the time and energy of those pitching in.

-- Think beyond the bake sale. Hold workshops for say $5 or $10 per head and invite speakers from your area to talk about things we all care about: a local tech guy who can discuss internet controls and settings for your family computer, a lawyer to discuss the ins and outs of making a will, a financial advisor who will chat about setting up college funds, even a fashion stylist about how to find your best colors or save money on your wardrobe. A great place to find these speakers: the parent body!

-- Approach businesses. Many local businesses want new and relatively cheap ways to reach new customers. Ask them if they would sponsor an event. They give a certain amount of money to help your organization throw a poker night or fun run. They get publicity and a tax write-off and you can then have all of the proceeds go to your PTA fund.

-- Treat the teachers simply. A little goes a long way for those men and women that do so much for our kids. A little gift bag with treats or seeds to plant is simple and cheap to do. Ask a local massage therapist to donate her time to give 15-minute mini massages to teachers who sign up for one day during lunch hours.

Do you help with your PTA? What are your best hints for a successful fundraiser? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/PinkTag 

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
campingmomof4
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Had 4 kids.  Now all adults.  Did many fund raisers and help with many different organizations thru the years. 

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I will help when ds is in school 

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I hope to be when the boys are in school:) It's always been something I wanted to do. I'm the kinda mommy who has experience with volunteer work and getting people to help!:) 

catngabsmom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Our school does two big fundraisers each year-the FUNd run and the spring fair/silent auction. Can't remember how much the fair/auction brings in, but the FUNd run I have chaired the past 5 years, we have about a thousand students between 2 buildings, each kid raises about $100, my budget is $700. We make a nice profit off of it and the kids/teachers/building receive a lot of nice perks from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I have not in past years.

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Think I will be joining PTA this year since DD is in a new school.

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Have no idea what is in store yet.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The PTA has already sent out Fundraiser information.  We will ask friends and family if they want to buy anything.  We personally can't afford to buy anything right now.  I also think having one right when school starts is hard on parents they just spent a lot of money on school supplies, etc.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Tonight is open house. Were going to meet his teacher. I plan  on helping with the PTA when Im not working. I want to be involved with ds's school. Its important to me that he thinks school is important too.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

And I have no clue about fundraisers...guess I'll just learn as I go lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement