Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Fall Clothing Advice: What the Pros Say Part I

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

I love makeover shows...I always learn something from the pros that have made it their business in knowing how to put together wardrobes to make them work and make us look the best we can look. Paying attention to the advice of those in the know can save us money - the more times we purchase items that don't work with stuff we already have, the more times we buy clothes that don't fit properly is more money we have wasted. As the fashion guru Vivienne Westwood famously said, "Buy less, choose well, and mix it all." 

To help us all buy less and choose well, I've rounded up some advice from fashion pros we can use as a guide this fall as we are shopping. They have said, pinned and tweeted fabulous ideas to keep in mind.

From Michael Kors on his Pinterest boards: "Invest in a great pair of jeans that you can dress up or dress down. They will make you feel confident and sexy at any occasion."

From Nina Garcia's twitter: "Chic color combo: navy+black, brown+navy, loden+gray, gray+aubergine, camel+ivory" (I love camel and ivory!)

From Stacy London as told to Stylist.com: "Don't wear things that are oversized if you're trying to hide parts of your body and don't wear things that feel too tight once you've poured yourself into them. Clothes should be tailored and they shouldn't be pulling anywhere. Regardless of body shape, there's always a way to create a silhouette that's flattering for you."

From Rachel Zoe as she wrote on Glamor.com:  "Do go for "pops." Accents of color always brighten you up, whether they're from a trim, a bag, a shoe, jewelry, a hat, or a whole article of clothing...I call it a pop because you should only wear one piece like that at a time. I've seen more women in allover looks, and I'm sorry but you just can't. Pick one."

Do you love fashion shows? What fall item do you need this year?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ cookelma 

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Thankfully our fall weather is a cooler version of Summer.  I love living in the South.  I could use a new pair of jeans.  I have a pair that is just too big, but then the pair I have that is the next size down is just too small, so I'd like to find an inbetweenie size pair of jeans.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 4, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I love the look of that poncho up there! the colors are great too. I dont know what type of things I will buy this year, but I certainly need to go shopping!

CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I like Rachel's advice! A ton of people wear the same color head to toe and it is definitely too much. Lol And Michael's advice, when I find the perfect fitting jeans I'm a happy girl!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I like to watch them sometimes. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I'm not into fashion or fashion shows. I have more important things to spend my $$ on. I look for comfort, durability, and suitability in clothes, and I just can't see myself going through my day wearing some of those things pictured.
goddess99
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Love fashion shows and love Rachel Zoe! I might get a new jacket this year. Haven't decided yet.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really follow fashion trends

sukainah
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I'm not really into fashion shows or fashion.  I know that I do need some new clothes, maybe some jeans and a jacket

lalasmama2007
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I need a whole new fall wardrobe this year.
countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I like to watch What Not to Wear sometimes.  I need a new pair of shoes this fall. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement